New Start menu option in 3150

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by MartyMcr, Feb 3, 2007.

1. MartyMcr

MartyMcr Hunter

I really like the new Start menu functionality in 3150.

It seems that if you click the Parallels icon in the Dock for a machine that's running in Coherence, the start menu appears above the icon - it's nice and a bit quicker than right clicking and selecting.

There seems to be a slight bug - sometimes it takes a single click to get the start menu, other times, I need to do two slightly spaced clicks for it to work.

Has anyone else experienced.

2. BillInSoBe

BillInSoBe Member

If this is a new feature I can't get it to work AT ALL.

3. PeterP

PeterP Member

Hello,

Have just found this option as well ...

Have got "View -> Customise -> Coherence -> Windows Task Bar -> Show" set to Off.

When I click on the VERY bottom of the Parallel's Icon -- on the Black Triangle which indicates its an active app -- I get the Windows Start Menu appearing above the Parallel's Icon. Sometimes this happens on the first click, somtimes it happens on the second click -- but not on DoublClick. The second click needs to be a seperate action.

Peter.

4. neosublime

neosublime Member

You have to perform that second click when Parallels is not the front app.

ie:
    The fist click brings Parallels to the front, and once it is in fron, then the second click activates the Start Menu. If it was supposed to activate the start menu when Parallels was brought to the front, then you would be upset every time the start menu kept popping up.

5. stokkes

stokkes Member

I've noticed that as well.

If you're using an OSX app, clicking on the Parallels icon once will bring it to the front, clicking it again will show the Start Menu.

I'm guessing there could be an option integrated into the preferences to change this behaviour in the future.

6. pfoxhoven

pfoxhoven Bit poster

I can't seem to get it to work at all... I have coherence active, windows task bar is hidden, and when I click it it does come to the front, click again and nothing happens. Right click and choose start menu doesn't do anything either...

7. whosyourtator

whosyourtator Bit poster

I have the same problem, it does not work

I click on the parallels desktop icon in the dock when parallels is running in coherence mode and no start menu is displayed. I am running 3150 RC2 and I have set the "Start Menu: Show" option to off in the coherence settings.

8. judisohn

judisohn Junior Member

By any chance do you have dual monitors? I found that I had to be sure that I had Parallels in full screen on my main monitor first, otherwise the Start menu was clicking up way off the screen (I could only see a corner of it). Once I started Coherence again off the main screen, it worked fine.

Only thing I don't like is that the area at the top of the screen where the task bar would be is still blocked off and I can't move an XP window all the way up underneath the Mac menu bar.

9. whosyourtator

whosyourtator Bit poster

Actually, I determined it has to do with where you click on the icon. If you click in the center of the icon nothing happens. If you click at the bottom of the icon it work great.

Everyone who has this problem. Make sure you are clicking on the black triangle at the bottom of the parallels icon when in coherence mode.

10. PeterP

PeterP Member

Agreed. This is also what I observed earlier.

11. bluloo

bluloo Member

This also does not work for me, no matter where I seem to click. I must double click (or control-click) the dock icon and choose the start menu item from the CM in order to see it.

It's a neat feature either way.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2007
  12. pbutterworth

pbutterworth Member

Yes it does seem to be very sensitive to position doesnt it. Great feature, but would be even better if it wasnt so snsitive.

Keep on innovating parallels team!

Paul

13. stoli412

stoli412 Member

I've also noticed that if you have your Dock set to auto-hide, this feature does not work. As soon as I set the Dock to display all the time, it works like a charm.

Is anybody else experiencing this bug?

14. pbutterworth

pbutterworth Member

Yes I agree, that seems to solve it. shame as I prefer to hide the dock

15. RCF2616

RCF2616 Member

First you have to get its attention...

It may have to do with the fact that you're switching back and forth between 'Mac OSX' mode and 'Virtual Mode'. The 'Dock' is a Mac thing so a first click may be necessary to put the machine back into 'Mac OSX' mode' . The next click on the icon then operates normally, which in this case tells Parallel to put up the Start menu since the Start menu is otherwise hidden.

Like the proverbial mule and the 2 x 4 -- first you have to get its attention...:)

16. pbutterworth

pbutterworth Member

You do need to click twice, but it's not that, if the dock is in auto hide, you have to click right on the tiny up arrow, but if the dock is visible, anywhere in the lower half of the icon seems to work.

17. bluloo

bluloo Member

Yep, with dual monitors parallels must be on my main monitor for this feature to function.

Thanks for posting the suggestion.

Neat feature.

18. waxhawsam

waxhawsam Bit poster

If you are using dual monitors and Parallels is not running on the main screen, and you are in Coherence mode..just click so paralles in is in the forground and then hit your alt key, and you'll get the windows start menu. Very slick I love it!