Can't Expand Hard Disk

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by jwjohnson99, Nov 17, 2010.

1. jwjohnson99

jwjohnson99 Member

When I try to expand my the hard disk in my VM it says it can't be edited because snapshots exist. I've used snapshot manager and have deleted all snapshots, but I still get the same message. Is there any way to expand this drive? It's also in that in Mac OS it reports the size of the hdd file at 75.68 GB, but windows only shows 32 GB. I have booted with an Acronis Disk Director image and it only shows the 32 GB partition with no unallocated space. I would appreciates some help. Thanks.
    Jeff

2. jwjohnson99

jwjohnson99 Member

I guess nobody else had this problem, and the the Parallels folks aren't reading this.

Anyway, I found a way to fix the problem. I created a new 64GB virtual drive for this VM. I then booted the VM using Acronis Disk Director CD. I copied the existing 32GB drive to the new 64GB drive and set the new drive to be Active and Bootable. I then ejected the CD. Then shut down the VM. I went into configure and removed the new drive from the configuration (Drive 3 in my case) and then changed the image that Drive 1 uses to the new 64 GB drive. Then I started the VM. It booted up fine into Windows XP. All my data and programs are intact and I have 32 GB hard drive space. I'll wait a few days just to make sure everything is working ok, then I plan to delete the old 32GB drive.

Hopefully that will help someone else. One caveat: you need to have created your Disk Director boot disk before you run out of space.