More Parallels Tools Install Errors in Debian

Discussion in 'Linux Virtual Machine' started by jimcoyle, Apr 19, 2010.

1. jimcoyle

jimcoyle Hunter

It appears a number of people have had problems installing Parallels Tools into Debian, but all the responses I've seen so far seem to leave out one or two steps of the solution.

For the record, I am mounting Parallels Tools for Linux into Debian, then using Terminal as Root, issuing these commands:

debian:/home/jamie# cd /media/cdrom
    debian:/media/cdrom# ls
    install installer kmods tools version
    debian:/media/cdrom# ./install
    bash: ./install /bin/bash: bad interpreter: Permission denied

I saw that someone succeeded by making an image of the Parallels Tools and placing it on the desktop, but I am too new to Unix to know how to mount and access the consequent .iso file for use.

I'd appreciate any explicit help with a solution for this.

Thank you.

2. HenkK

HenkK Junior Member

You have to make sure that a proper compiling environment for your kernel is installed. This can be done in several ways, but I find the easiest is to
    Code:
    # aptitude install module-assistant
    # m-a prepare
    where that last command will install the packages needed, perhaps in several stages.

Once that is done, the installation in /media/cdrom,
    Code:
    # ./install
    should succeed -- it did for me using Debian testing (Squeeze) for the 2.6.32 kernel. Note that the kernel modules will, after the first install, be recompiled automatically for newer kernels via the DKMS mechanism. See also the /lib/modules/<your 2.6 kernel>/updates/dkms directory.

Have fun!

3. jimcoyle

jimcoyle Hunter

Didn't work

Thanks for trying to help. Even though I installed those packages I still get the "bad interpreter: Permission denied" error.

4. Eric Brunel

Eric Brunel Junior Member

Your cdrom device is probably not mounted with executable permissions. You just have to log in as root and type in a terminal:
    umount /media/cdrom
    mount -o exec /media/cdrom
    and you should be able to run the installer script from there.

HTH
    - Eric -

5. tjhcom

tjhcom Junior Member

After many hours of trial - this worked for me!!! Thanks HenkK!