Parallels 3150, WinXP, and KB890859

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by varase, Feb 4, 2007.

1. varase

varase Bit poster

Greetings.

Recently, I installed 3150 and all was going fine until I noticed that just about every session, Microsoft Update wanted to reinstall KB890859.

I followed the manual installation procedure for KB890859 under Boot Camp and MS Update selected two more fixes to apply on top of KB890859. MS Update came up clean, and I figured that all was now well in WinXP land.

Then I tried my Boot Camp under Parallels again.

BSOD ... every time, even when trying last know good configuration.

Is Parallels compatible with KB890859 and its successors? Do these hot-fixes somehow corrupt Parallels Tools? If so, can Parallels Tools be uninstalled if the system won't boot under Parallels?

I'd really like to know how to get this fixed so it will work both under Boot Camp and under Parallels.

-- Thanks, Verne

2. jfarnswo

jfarnswo Bit poster

I've actually found that the system does not need this update, but something in the Parallels VM makes automatic updates think it does. Test/confirmation:

Boot Parallels VM of XP -- wait while it does an initial automatic updates check, it will notify you that the KB890859 update is required.
    Shut down system, boot into same install of Windows XP via BootCamp -- perform automatic updates check, it will not detect a need for KB890859.

If you receive a request to install this update, do not do it -- it will render your VM unbootable by Parallels (yet still work in BootCamp).

3. varase

varase Bit poster

Urp ... unfortunately, it's a tad late for that.

On a closely related note: Anyone know if restoring a partition from a disk image will restore my entire WinXP system (under Boot Camp)?

I do have a backup I took with Disk Utility, but am unsure if I can restore this over my Boot Camp partition, and if I can if it will work.

Unfortunately, I've pulled off all three hot-fixes (KB890859, KB900725, and KB896424) and it STILL bluescreens under Parallels <sigh>.