Copy and paste does not work in Parallels 5

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by MYOBM, Nov 26, 2009.

1. megavolt17

megavolt17 Product Expert

I find copy/past sometimes works, sometimes does not. Usually restarting Parallels fixes it for a time. I also find some programs work, others do not. I may be able to paste into WordPad, but not into Command Prompt. Sometimes the right menu works when neither CTRL V nor CMD V work, other times paste is not selectable. Sometimes I can use CMD V to paste and CTRL V does not work, sometimes it works the opposite. Clipping from Windows 7 works usually if I use the menu or right mouse button, hit or miss using the keyboard. Sometimes after a while I can't even copy/paste from one Windows program to another!

I don't copy/paste much so it's not a big issue for me, but it is annoying at times!

2. samx

samx Junior Member

it may also be CPInterceptor crashing after resuming a virtual machine that's suspended. see this thread for details:
    http://forum.parallels.com/showthread.php?p=400104

open the windows clipboard:
    go to Start->Run, then type: clipbrd

copy some text on the mac side (the host). if the copied text doesn't appear in the windows clipboard, then CPInterceptor is broken and you will need to restart the VM.

no word on whether parallels is looking into this issue.

3. megavolt17

megavolt17 Product Expert

Both of those are functions of Parallels Tools. Have you tried uninstalling Parallels Tools and then reinstalling it? There is also a newer Parallel Tools (Hot Fix) that was posted in the forum that fixed some problems with it (Windows 7 issues?), although for me it really did not change anything.

4. RonaldD

RonaldD Bit poster

Did not work for me in VMware. Very frustrating. Apparently, Parallels has had this problem for a few years but they continue to sell their software at Best Buy. Why would you sell something that you know does not work?

5. TheTeeGee

TheTeeGee Bit poster

Restarting the VM worked for me (Windows XP Prof in my case). Probably the best thing to do first before trying anything else.

6. alev

alev Parallels Team

Hi, Parallels Users!

We have fixed all known issues with CPInterceptor hangs/crashes in PD6.
    If you still face problem with Copy/Paste in PD6 version 11828 or later , please send problem report (as described here http://kb.parallels.com/en/9058) and post Problem ID in this thread.

We really appreciate your help here.

Thank you!

7. Michael Buchta

Michael Buchta Junior Member

copy and paste problem parallels 6 Win 7 64

problem report ID 7230558.
    can't c&p sreenshots from mac clipboard to vm.

reg
    Michael

8. petrovv

petrovv Member

Michael Buchta, hello.
    How did you make sceenshots on your MacOS and what program did you paste pictures in?

9. Michael Buchta

Michael Buchta Junior Member

copy and paste problem parallels 6 Win 7 64

I'm using OS command-shift-ctrl-4. It works from OS to vm Windows, but not inside vm Windows programs or from vm Windows to OS programs like pages.

10. petrovv

petrovv Member

I've tried to make screenshot such way on my MacOS - copy-paste of images in vm works fine. I can paste in MS Paint and MS WordPad. What guest program do you use?

11. Lenny Wolf

Lenny Wolf Bit poster

Thanks

THANKS !
    Re installing parallels tools did the trick. Works just fine now.

often it's the "little" things, but not dealing with it on a daily base can make them become a BIG pain.

Amen

12. GailR

GailR Bit poster

Copy doesn't place items on clipboard in Win7 64 bit

problem report id 9371217