Activation issue with running Boot Camp

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by ppayne, Feb 3, 2007.

1. ppayne

ppayne Member

I'd like to try running my Boot Camp partition as my Parallels PC and avoid having two XP licensed on my Mac. However, is the "requires reactivation" issue fixed yet, or on its way to being fixed? The mere possibility of having to reactivate Windows after ever boot change is enough to make it quite pointless -- is there any feedback on this issue from people who are using Boot Camp in both modes?

2. bcutts

bcutts Bit poster

I found that once I activated XP under Parallels, it ran under both Parallels and Boot Camp without requiring further activations. The only problem which remained was that Microsoft Office 2003 and Visio 2003 Professional still suffered with the requires re-activations after every switch from Boot Camp to Parallels. It was solved by changing the MAC address of the Wireless Ethernet adapter under Parallels to be the same as the default MAC address under Boot Camp when you checked the IP config for Windows. To find this run up a command window in XP and enter IPCONFIG /ALL

3. ppayne

ppayne Member

Thanks, I'll try it soon. So, the different memory between the Parallels PC and real one don't cause re-activation?

4. bpoiesz

bpoiesz Bit poster

I've was using RC1 to activate XP Pro in Parallels, but now I am getting a 28 days left to activate whenever I use BootCamp. In Parallels I get nothing about activation problems, only in BootCamp. I've upgraded to RC2, but I'm now kind of stuck about what to do. Any recommendations on where I should proceed from here?

Thanks.

5. chrisj303

chrisj303 Member

*Maybe* you could use this : http://www.magicaljellybean.com/keyfinder.shtml
    To change your product key to a 'corporate' key (no activation) - Until this issue is DEFINITLY under wraps (next final build?).
    I'm running my bootcamp - and can run it through parallels - using a corporate XP. I'm not using up any more of my activation 'lives' on my legit XP with parallels.

*Please note i said MAYBE !

chrisj303

6. rhind

rhind Member

Last Friday I decided to give BootCamp another go. I installed XP under boot camp and activated XP. I then booted from it in Parallels and as mentioned had to re-activate under Parallels.

It looks like you need to activate under both BootCamp and XP because of the 'hardware' differences between the 2. But that shouldn't be an issue. I had to phone Microsoft for both activations as I've re-installed this XP numerous times with Parallels and BootCamp but that isn't an issue as it is only installed on one computer which is what is asked when you call.

Cheers

Russell

7. bcutts

bcutts Bit poster

No, Windows uses a number of hardware items to determine if the computer is the same one so changing the amount of memory or the hard drive (even at the same time) does not cause it to require reactivation. But if you changed the hard drive and the memory and the network card (especially the network card) and the graphics card then often reactivation is required since too many items have changed.

Brian