Cannot upgrade Parallels Tools on RC2

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by bill.marquette, Feb 2, 2007.

1. bill.marquette

bill.marquette Junior Member

I installed XP Pro on Beta 2 a couple days back, then noticed yesterday that RC2 was out, so I upgraded. Problem is that when I boot the guest it complains that the Parallels Tools are out of sync (yep..I'd agree with that), so I click OK to install the updated tools and it starts up the installer, then I get an error message stating "Parallels Tools Setup Wizard cannot install a required component or components. Please contact Parallels support team."

I've tried deinstalling the tools...Windows won't recognize it as a correctly installed application and won't deinstall (hrm). I've tried this under my account with Admin rights as well as under the Administrator account with no joy. Anyone have the same issue and fix it? It took hours to get all the software installed, I'd as soon not do a complete reinstall if I can help it and as the VM works fine even w/out the matched Tools, I'm inclined to leave it in this state for now if a reinstall is in order.

FWIW, this isn't a BootCamp install...it's an express windows install.

--Bill

2. spikeparker

spikeparker Bit poster

Bill,
    I am having the same issue. I installed Parallels and upgraded to RC1 and RC2 and cannot install or uninstall Parallels Tools. I have also noticed another issue where Internet Explorer 6 will not launch a second window. If I discover anything I will be sure to post.

-s

3. modular747

modular747 Member

I've had this happen with every version since 3106. The only way to install the tools is to start the WinXP VM in safe mode - press F8 at the beginning of the VM startup. This has worked every time, but shouldn't be necessary. I've reported this twice to Parallels - no response so far.

4. spikeparker

spikeparker Bit poster

I tried this and it didn't work. Started the install and after clicking the install button installshield disappeared.

5. drval

drval Pro

When I did my upgrade from 3120 to 3150 I was automatically prompted about performing the Tools install. I was also asked whether or not I wanted to see the dialogues for each of the components that were being installed.

I'm now exploring the PVS file in a bit more detail and I found the following item:

Guest Tools Status = 2

I don't know what this means specifically but you might want to check what value has been set in your PVS. If it's 0 that might mean "not yet installed"...

6. bill.marquette

Hmmm, mine is set to -1. I'll try the safe mode trick and see if I can deinstall from windows that way. I'm guessing that it won't install because the old version won't deinstall.

--Bill

7. bill.marquette

Nope, deinstall still fails. "The current version of the application could not be determined. The setup will now terminate." Install gives the same error. I'll keep poking at it.

-Bill

8. bill.marquette

Looks like the Uninstall key in the registry is HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\{B730E908-1FD5-4170-A0FE-B6AB874344F0} and they store the version number in there in a couple different ways, all which seem to match up and give me 2.5.3094 and the "NoRemove" key is set to 0

There's nothing terribly interesting in the C:\Program Files\InstallShield Installation Information\ {B730E908-1FD5-4170-A0FE-B6AB874344F0} directory other than the InstallShield setup files. Nothing that makes me think I can force it to deinstall. I haven't yet figured out if it's possible to do a forced install.

--Bill

9. bill.marquette

No new info on this. The old tools install still works (even if it bitches), so I'll continue running it this way until release I guess and pray that it installs tools properly or bite the bullet and reinstall windows.

--Bill