24 hour old Mac user - General Question

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by GerryD, Dec 4, 2010.

1. GerryD

GerryD Bit poster

So I got a Mac to replace my wife's aging laptop. Long story but need to connect to work via VPN on a holiday. Won't work on the Mac BUT I have found Parallels!!!!

So very newbie question #1: I can I then simply get a new copy of Windows 7 and this seemingly amazing Parallels program. Then I can use Internet Explorer as if I was in Windows and do my VPN connection????

Question #2: Thinking further, I have an old laptop computer with old programs on it that I still need to support. Now can I simply migrate the complete old laptop to a virtual machine on my Mac? I don't need to buy a new copy of Windows? Ok that was a third question!

BTW: Loving the Mac.

2. StephenA

StephenA Member

Yes, I use the Win 7 VM in Parallels for work, and I VPN from it to my office. Works great.

For games, I've never tried myself, I don't know if the performance / graphics will be as good but they should work.

3. GerryD

GerryD Bit poster

Thanks Stephen. I'm not a gamer so I'm not concerned with performance. I'm going to get all the pieces on Monday and give it a whirl. I'll need to get it working then as we go on holidays Tuesday.

4. Elric

Elric Parallels Team

5. GerryD

GerryD Bit poster

Thanks Elric,

I am going to play with migrating a PC to Parallels at a later date.

I am amazed at the Mac world in general. I had been using Ubuntu on another old laptop and the similarities are striking. Guess I didn't know that Mac operating system was linux based! It's obvious now.

6. GerryD

GerryD Bit poster

Well, 4 days as a mac user. Got Parallels. Got a new version on Windows. Installation of Windows was so simple my mom could do it (she has never used a computer!). Tried VPN to my work and presto.

What a great product! Thanks.