Parallels 6 disk resize error

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by Paul Barnard, Dec 8, 2010.

1. Paul Barnard

Paul Barnard Member

I have a windows 7 VM that got full while trying to install Visual Studio. I went through the resize process but it failed with a message that there were snap shots. I have never used snapshots...

I restored a back up from before the size got too big and tried to resize from there and get an error message "Failed to resize the virtual hard disk. An internal error occured(sic) while resizing the disk." The details say "Resizing failed. An error occurred during the operation: internal error (0x0000000a)"

The VM still runs just fine and I did a check disk from Windows and no problems. Still the resize fails with the same message.

I then used transporter to create a new VM from the existing VM. And yes that also gives the same error.

Any ideas? I really don't want to create a new VM and reinstall everything.

2. jackfreud

jackfreud Bit poster

I'm having a similar problem, but no error messages. I can create a larger pvm file, but Windows does not see the C: drive as being any bigger. I've gone back and forth from auto-resizable to fixed, to no avail.

3. Paul Barnard

Paul Barnard Member

Jack, For your problem it might be that the disk is resizing but you will need to expand the partition, or create an new one, from within the VM. I can't get to that stage so not sure if this is the case or not.

4. njackson60

njackson60 Bit poster

I am having the exact same issue ... cannot resize an HDD [expanding or fixed], getting error 0xa, same as Paul.

Any resolution to this issue? I love Parallels - it works so much better than VMWare Fusion!

5. Paul Barnard

Paul Barnard Member

Never managed to fix it

In the end I deleted the image and started again. Not a good resolution but nothing I tried resolved it.

6. AmmiO

AmmiO Bit poster

Go to your virtual Machine’s “Configure†settings.
    Click on Hard disk (probably “Hard Disk 1â€)
    Click “Edit…†button

First thing: Click the Reset button.
    This will make the grayed out checkboxes become selectable.
    Step 1:
    I don’t know if it’s necessary but I unchecked the “Split the disk image into 2GB files†choice.
    Click “Applyâ€, let it do its thing.

Start the machine, make sure all is well, gracefully shutdown.

I also made copies of my pvm files after each step just to be conservative, started and gracefully shutdown the virtual machine after each step.

Now, go back and select the Hard drive Edit again.
    This time, expand to your desired size. Apply.

Do not Compress, whatever you do.

7. Paul Barnard

Paul Barnard Member

After clicking Reset I had to click Apply before the buttons become selectable.

After Step 1 I received a dialogue saying:
    Unable to complete the action for the virtual machine %1
    No virtual machine configuration file could be found in location %2

Looks like it has lost the file locations...

The VM is now unable to execute.

As AmmiO says making a backup before trying this is a wise procedure.

Thanks AmmiO for the suggestion but it didn't work for me.

8. Paul K.

Paul K. Bit poster

I had the same problem today but was able to fix it by first running the "Check now" button from the Tools tab in the C:\ Properties dialog. It fixed some volume errors and after a reboot I was able to resize the VHD w/o any problems.

9. mckinney

mckinney Bit poster

Thanks, Paul K! Your solution worked for me as well.

10. fwinter

fwinter Bit poster

I tried the steps listed, but I cannot click the Edit button, as it says I have snapshots. I have never used snapshots. The TimeMachine option is disabled. I am a MS admin trying to help out one of my Mac users, but I just don't know this product well :(

11. afishkind

afishkind Bit poster

It Worked!!

Paul...you're solution worked...thanks so much.

12. RoverM

RoverM Bit poster

Hello everybody!

Thank you useful "Check now" thing.

Good that now it works well.