Problem installing Parallels Tools (6.0.11990)

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by DerryckC, Dec 7, 2010.

1. DerryckC

DerryckC Member

Unable to install as above (Windows XP).

Yesterday the installer moaned that it was unable to install a Parallels sound driver and rolled back.
    Today it moaned that it was unable to install Tools Service and rolled back.
    Now it doesn't moan about anything and just rolls back.

I've tried add/remove programs (under 6.0.11828) to uninstall Parallels Tools before trying the upgrade again.

I've used the Parallels app remover utilities and rebooted my Mac before trying the upgrade.

I've disabled Avast anti-virus.

Nothing helps.

Anyone any bright ideas, please?

My computer is a Mac Pro, 6-core 3.33GHz with 6GB of RAM.

2. ShaheenG

ShaheenG Bit poster

Bug Solved

There must be a bug involving Parallels and Mac Pros using lots of CPUs and RAM (mine is a Mac Pro 2.26GHz 8 Core with 16GB RAM).

I updated Parallels today to (6.0.11990) and after the install I tried to install Parallels-Tools only to have Parallels say it couldn't install the audio drivers and then proceded to roll back the entire Parallels-Tools installation (screenshot attached).

Anyways, I fixed it by shutting down the VM and changing the preferences for the VM to only use 2 CPU Cores and I cranked back the amount of available RAM to 800 MB. I booted up the VM again and installed Parallels Tools without a hitch! Afterwards, just shut down the VM again and crank up the CPU and RAM settings.

Attached Files:

3. nibbo

nibbo Bit poster

I have the same issue as the thread author. Installation gives no reason. It just rolls back.

4. alev

alev Parallels Team

Hello, nibbo and DerryckC!

Could you please generate Problem reports at your VMs and post Report ID here? (Use Help -> Report a Problem...)

5. nibbo

nibbo Bit poster

I have two numbers: #1059647 which I think is a support ticket. And 7306901 which I think is my report ID.

Your chat support just sent me a dmg file to reinstall Parallels on my mac, which seems unrelated to the Parallels Tools installer in Windows to me. Then just disconnected me. Very unhelpful and rude.

6. alev

alev Parallels Team

Nibbo, I have this solution for your problem with tools:

1) Open up C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore folder.
    2) Find infstor.dat file.
    3) Change its permissions: right-click on it, choose Properties --> Security, choose Administrators and allow Full access.
    4) Remove this file.
    5) Install Parallels Tools again using Parallels Desktop menu (Virtual Machine --> Install Parallels Tools).

7. nibbo

nibbo Bit poster

Your suggestion did not resolve the problem. I am still unable to install the Parallels Tools on my VM

8. DerryckC

DerryckC Member

My apologies - I followed ShaheenG's advice and it worked straight away. My grateful thanks!

9. GeoffreyZ

GeoffreyZ Member

Problem Installing Parallel Tools (6.0.119909

How did you figure that one out? I also had problems installing Parallel Tools in my Windows x64 Ultimate Boot Camp VM, and had to resort to a manual installation using the prl-tools-win.iso file extracted from the Tools folder. Once Parallels Tools were finally installed, the CPU load immediately jumped to 100% until I received a BSOD noting a system memory error. So I dropped the VM RAM from 4096 to 1024 and...guess what? Smooth as silk! I'm still amazed that you suggested lowering the RAM settings: unfortunately, when I crank them back up to 4 GB again the system still crashes.

I've now uninstalled Parallels Desktop and am waiting for the next release, since I've lost the previous version.

10. Jay Chow

Jay Chow Bit poster

Hardware Overview:

Model Name: MacBook Pro
    Model Identifier: MacBookPro5,2
    Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
    Processor Speed: 3.06 GHz
    Number Of Processors: 1
    Total Number Of Cores: 2
    L2 Cache: 6 MB
    Memory: 8 GB
    Bus Speed: 1.07 GHz
    Boot ROM Version: MBP52.008E.B05
    SMC Version (system): 1.42f4

I set the CPU to 2 (unchanged) and RAM from 4 GB to 800 MB, as described by ShaheenG, but still didn't work.

11. DeboraC

DeboraC Bit poster

I just installed Parallels 6 today. Activated it and now have no mouse or keypad access.

It does say at the bottom of the screen that Parallels Tools are not installed so I choose form the Virtual Machine menu to Install Parallels Tools. This started the wizard but a window popped open saying that it needed to shut down another program in windows.... press ..... which I can not do since neither the mouse nor the keypad work in Windows.

I am trying to be calm while I wait for my Ticket [Parallels #1063899] to be answered.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2010
  12. John Seybold

John Seybold Bit poster

I had the same problem with a system that was working fine until I installed Parallels Desktop 6.0.11994. Microsoft has a knowledge base article at http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315353 - following their instructions solved the problem.