compatibility with "witch" / accessibility api support

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by Joseph Heenan, Jul 1, 2010.

1. Joseph Heenan

Joseph Heenan Bit poster

Hi all,

I'm considering switching from vmware fusion to parallels desktop, and am currently using the trial version.

I've discovered that when using the "witch" window switching tool, http://manytricks.com/witch/, the windows for applications running inside parallels are reported in a very unhelpful way.

I've contact witch support, and they say that parallels is not reporting the windows properly via the accessibility API, so there is nothing they can do to fix it.

For example, the application name is always shown as "Parallels desktop", rather than the applications name (ie. "Internet Explorer"), and the wrong icon is shown. [This means witch shows the applications differently to how they are shown in the default cmd-tab dialogue.]

This works fine when using vmware fusion. (I tried reporting this on the "support" part of the website, but it seems impossible to report a bug unless you've bought the software, which I'm not likely to do if it has bugs that fusion doesn't have!)

Anyone any idea if an issue like this would be likely to be fixed or not, if I did buy parallels?

Thanks

Joseph

2. Joseph H

Joseph H Bit poster

Well, having paid for a copy of parallels and jumped through all the hoops to actually report this, I now have the answer:

No, they won't fix it.

(Thankfully vmware have an offer going where it's only $10 to upgrade from parallels so the money spent on parallels isn't entirely wasted. :) )