SoftICE cannot run under PD 6

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by LeoW, Dec 27, 2010.

1. LeoW

LeoW Junior Member

SoftICE used to work perfectly in Windows XP SP2 with Parallels Desktop 5, but the compatibility has been lost in Parallels Desktop 6.

I tried to install PD 5 and then upgraded to PD 6 without updating Parallels Tools, SoftICE worked again, but I have to stop the upgrade process everytime the MSI is launched.

Thank you.

2. alev

alev Parallels Team

Hello, LeoW!

Could you please specify a SoftICE version you use?
    What kind of problem occurs with SoftICE in PD6?
    Could you please send a problem report (Help->Report a problem...) at the moment when it occurs and post Report ID here?

3. LeoW

LeoW Junior Member

I ran DriverStudio 3.2.1 build 2560 (SoftICE is included). When I press Ctrl+D (SoftICE hotkey):

(1) if I run SoftICE in DirectX mode, the desktop hangs, the mouse pointer can be moved, but any clicks are not respondent. If I type SoftICE commands, it is likely to work (e.g., I type x, then my desktop is respondent again).

(2) if I run SoftICE in full screen mode, Windows XP will be switched to text mode (80x25), the screen will be blank, the rest of of SoftICE behaviors are just like mentioned in (1).

Thank you.

4. Elric

Elric Parallels Team

Hi,

I can't answer about the problem you've met, but may be you will find the Win DBG way more convenient:

in VM 1: add in the configuration of VM a serial-port, socket /tmp/windbg, server
    in VM 2: socket /tmp/windbg, client

Then setup WinDBG as for usual phisical machines.

This approach requires some time to get acustomed with, but in my opinion it is much more stable then SoftIce.

Actually, on Windows-hosts (with Parallels Workstation for Windows) the second VM is not even required and it is possible to start WinDBG just on host