warning box - unable to access disk 1

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by NeilS, Sep 24, 2010.

1. CsabaK

CsabaK Bit poster

Hmmm. happened again. :( so it doesn't work

2. Gypsy1962

Gypsy1962 Bit poster

I'm having the same issue -- running Mac OS X 10.6.5 with the 6.0.11990 parallels on one machine, the prior edition on another, both using Windows 7 in a bootcamp partition.

I'm holding back upgrading one of the two machines to the latest parallels update because I can at least ignore this issue when it arises by simply pressing OK. Once I've done this once or twice, I no longer see the issue and have run Windows 7 as a vm for days. Going to version 11990 clearly prevents this as an option because of the new dialog.

Not sure where to go or how to resolve this. Running Windows 7 natively from the bootcamp partition has no issues- I've run ChkDsk on the drive with no errors or any other issues that cause any concern.

Not sure where/how NTFS-3G might be an issue as I'm only using the MacFuse driver that gets installed by Parallels. I do NOT have access to the Mac partition when running vm vice natively. Not sure if this is the issue or not, but its clearly one difference between running either vm or native.

I have also tried to transport the bootcamp partition (using Parallels Transporter) into a usable vm thinking I'd just move away from using bootcamp altogether, but I can't get past an issue that prevents me from booting the newly transported vm (The "transport" works like a champ, but a "Can't find a boot partition" message appears when I try to start the vm image for some reason). The forums are no help on this either.

Can't seem to win on this no matter what.

I have a few friends experiencing the exact same issue.

Can't understand why parallels has not taken this issue more seriously, there appears to be enough problems to warrant some kind of resolution from then.

Frustrating, I **really** like this product when its working right.

3. CsabaK

CsabaK Bit poster

Got this response from support, please try it too and let us know the result:

When the virtual machine is turned off (not suspended), please, in the upper menu choose Virtual Machine > Configure > Hardware > Boot order.

Insert the following line in the "Boot flags" field and save changes:

devices.sfilter.enable=0

4. Gypsy1962

Gypsy1962 Bit poster

I've added the above boot flag and have been running for 3 hours so far with no issues.

Crossed fingers...

5. PhilipK

PhilipK Bit poster

I got the same recommendation from Support, and I've been operational for several hours now - after reinstalling NTFS-3G, which was what was interfering with Parallels in my case.

From what I can gather from the API documentation, I think this command disables gathering device statistics.

6. CsabaK

CsabaK Bit poster

3 hours here too. Works OK so far. Crossed fingers too ;)

7. Gypsy1962

Gypsy1962 Bit poster

Hmmm, liking this fix! 12 hours plus, not a hint of an issue.

Going to cycle the machine a few times, restart the vm, run some more demanding apps. If I can make it through a whole day tomorrow, I may plus up the version on my other mac to the latest parallels edition on Wednesday.

Kind of curious what the boot flag does (no way to know short of talking to the developer I suppose). Simply disable the dialog, or something more meaningful?

;)

8. ImSeeker

ImSeeker Member

I was about to post again, because I can now consistently reproduce the error. However, I will try the above solution and see if it resolves the problem.

Here was my post:

I can now reliably reproduce this:

An error occurred while accessing the Hard Disk 0 used by "Secondstar--7".

Click Retry to try again or click Stop to forcibly stop the virtual machine. If this error persists, please contact the Parallels support team for assistance.

Note: If you stop the virtual machine "Secondstar--7" now, you will lose all unsaved data.

Error ID: PRL_ERR_DISK_READ_FAILED (80021029), errno=22 (Invalid argument).

-----------------

Every time I START Parallels/Windows 7 in Mac OS X using a bootcamp partition [i.e. turn ON the Macbook Pro, then start Parallels] I get the above error after about 8-15 minutes, whether I do anything or not.

I then am FORCED to shut down the virtual machine. If I then restart it immediately, I NO LONGER get the error until the next time I start everything up again.

--------------

I will try the above solution - anyone know what it actually does????

9. tfyoder1

tfyoder1 Bit poster

I was able to solve this issue by booting up my virtual partition of XP in bootcamp. Once in in bootcamp mode, windows ran painfully slow. I did a defrag of the hard drive first, then I ran check disk in recover mode. I ran it using the following steps:
    start the command prompt, go to start>run>type "cmd"
    then in the command I typed "chkdsk /r" (to start recovery mode)
    an error message states that the system will run chkdsk on next reboot
    reboot the system into bootcamp
    let chkdsk run till complete

Ran like new after it was all said and done in both bootcamp and parallels modes.