Flickering Screen in Quicken 2009

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by mishaw, Feb 1, 2010.

1. mishaw

mishaw Bit poster

I'm having a problem running Quicken 2009 under parallels 5, where the screen within Quicken flickers and whatever field I'm working in suddenly goes blank or jumps to a different field (for example the date field). It seems that this may just be an issue within Quicken based on some of the searches I've been doing but was wondering whether anyone has any experience with the same issue within Parallels.

The fix is supposedly to slow down the graphics card, but I don't think you can do that within Parallels other than by turning off 3D acceleration, which I've tried to no avail. Any ideas?

2. Richard Martin

Richard Martin Bit poster

Addition data on Quicken 2009 usage problem

"Flicker" is not an accurate description. The screen performs some sort of "reset" every 60 seconds - in my case, the check number field gets focus and is cleared. I've looked everywhere for a 1-minute time setting without success. As other posters have noted, this makes Quicken almost un-usable - it at least makes the user paranoid. Quicken is the ONLY reason I run Parallels - come on guys, how about a fix???
    --Gene

3. Richard Martin

Richard Martin Bit poster

Quicken 2009 - Windows 7 - P Desktop 5 for Mac

In my case, "flicker" is not an accurate description - exactly every 60 seconds, the Quicken window gets the focus and the check number field gets reset. It makes Quicken almost unusable. I've looked through settings for all three components, but have so far found nothing that executes every minute. Any ideas or pointers would be greatly appreciated.
    --Gene

4. BarneyD

BarneyD Bit poster

Possible solution

I think I fixed this problem by changing the configuration to "Optimize for Mac OS".

5. pippel

pippel Bit poster

Optimize mac. ok, i will try it. Have the same problem here with Quicken, eg. (some other apps , too) Working is not possible, i made changes in quicken, but when its flickering, my changes are lost and i have to type again!

6. BarneyD

BarneyD Bit poster

Problem comes back

With the latest version of Parallels, this problem has come back for me.

7. ShortK

ShortK Bit poster

Having same problem with Quicken 2008

After upgrading to latest version of Parallels 5.0, I am having the same problem! This was not happening prior to the upgrade. It makes quicken virtually unusable.

8. ShortK

ShortK Bit poster

I have a fix for this from Parallels!!

I requested a fix from Parallels Support and received the following instructions. It worked for me! One slight change in the instructions is on step #6: instead of 'options -> advanced', I had to select 'options -> services'.

Hello Short,

Thank you for contacting Parallels Technical Support.

As I understand that you are experiencing issues while using the Quicken application as the cursor is refocusing every time.

I am sorry for the inconvenience caused.

Please follow the below steps:

1. Download and install the latest Build for the Parallels Desktop 5.0 i.e. 9376 using the below link.

http://download.parallels.com/deskt...lsDesktop-parallels-en_US-5.0.9376.599993.dmg

2. Launch Parallels Desktop and start the Virtual Machine.

3. Install the Parallels Tools by navigating to Virtual Machine-> Install Parallels Tools.

4. Restart the Windows Virtual Machine.

5. Now, click on Virtual Machine-> Configure.

6. Go to Options-> Advanced.

7. Under Time disable "Synchronization with Mac".

8. Click on OK.

This should resolve the issue.

Please let us know the status of the issue.

Awaiting your response.