Parallels Error after updating from 11828 to 11990

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by JuergenB, Dec 7, 2010.

1. JuergenB

JuergenB Bit poster

I have a Windows 7 Bootcamp partition. Was working fine with Version 11828. After updating to 11990, I get following error: PRL_ERR_DISK_FILE_OPEN_ERROR (0x80021014)
    I delete the existing Bootcamp Setup and make a new Bootcamp setup, but get the same error.
    My Bootcamp installation work fine, if I boot it directly.
    Only thing I saw, the "Import Bootcamp" under file menu was greyed out.
    Now I have no idea how I can fix this problem.
    Maybe someone can help me out with a solution.

Juergen

2. ShannonA

ShannonA Member

Try reducing the amount of ram down to 2 gigs or lower to see if it changes? Please post results.

3. JuergenB

JuergenB Bit poster

I never used more than 1 gig ram for my Bootcamp VM.

4. ArminS

ArminS Bit poster

Update to build 11990 breaks Bootcamp VMs

Same problem here: Update to build 11990 breaks Bootcamp.

Error: PRL_ERR_DISK_FILE_OPEN_ERROR (0x80021014)
    Path: '/Users/asc/Desktop/WIN 7 (X64).pvm/Hitachi HTS545050B9SA02 (disk0).hdd'

The error seems to be ACL-related: Anyway it's not possible to chown the hdd-file as it will be recreated readonly for the current user each time.

After downgrading to an earlier build of PD 6, everything works as expected.

Everybody having the same issue, please escalate a support-request to Parallels.

5. jasdelta

jasdelta Bit poster

Errors Since new build install

I am getting a similar error, see screen shot here. What is going on??
    In addition I've tried copying my VM to another drive, but can't do it. I get another error message when trying. See additional screen shot.

Some help from a Parallels tech would be appreciated.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 8, 2010
  6. C_Dizzle

C_Dizzle Bit poster

ALL of my VMs broke after the upgrade to 11990. Various BSOD's, corrupted SAM, and some outright hanging during boot. Reinstalling build 11828 has helped some but not others. I will never let Parallels update itself again!

7. ShannonA

ShannonA Member

I upgrade to 11990 but didn't install Parallels Tools. Still unsatisfactory that it ripped apart and broke almost everything.

8. jasdelta

jasdelta Bit poster

C. Dizzle,
    How did you reinstall 11828, just install it over your 11990?

9. C_Dizzle

C_Dizzle Bit poster

@jasdelta:

just open up the .dmg from any v6 build, and you'll see the uninstaller. run that first, then reinstall 11828.

if anyone else has the corrupted SAM issue, it is possible to recover as long as you have a backup of the VM:

in Finder, right-click the backup and choose "Open With --> Parallels Mounter" (no more Parallels Explorer!)
    browse into the VM and snag the file C:\Windows\System32\config\SAM

copying that file into my corrupted VM in the same manner fixed it.

and of course now each VM wants to reinstall Tools -- only 1 hang there so far. :-\

10. JuergenB

JuergenB Bit poster

Reinstall 11828 works for me ...

11. ShannonA

ShannonA Member

Now I just need to find a copy of 11828

12. jasdelta

jasdelta Bit poster

C. Dizzle,

And if I don't have a back up, what would you recommend? I know, I should have been backing up, but I only use PD6 for one windows app each day, Quicken 2010. I do have back up files or it. I tried to copy my VM to another drive, but of couse that failed to.

13. cappellin

cappellin Bit poster

I've got a similar problem here. After updating to 11990 I lost several XP VMs because some BSOD and other errors. The problem seems related to new version of Parallels Tools. I can use the remaining VMs without installing Parallels Tools.

14. jasdelta

jasdelta Bit poster

I repaired permissions and restarted and mine seems to be working ok so far. Crossing my fingers!!

15. ArminS

ArminS Bit poster

Jim, can you explain how you fixed file-permissions?

16. emental

emental Junior Member

Start Mac's Applications > Utilities > Disk Utility.

Choose Macintosh HD to the left and click Repair Disk Permissions to the right.

17. Ian75

Ian75 Bit poster

I've also had huge problems with build 11990. Running a Windows 7 64 bit VM, I've had numerous crashes and blue screens (even after a complete uninstall/re-install of Parallels and Windows). I had to revert to my original build of Parallels 6 (build 11822) to solve this.

Now when I attempt to update Parallels, it only gives the option to update to build 11828, not 11990. Perhaps Parallels have had other reports of serious problem with 11990. 11828 works fine though.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2010
  18. cappellin

cappellin Bit poster

I gave up and rolled back to 11828. With 11990 W7 did not start and all XP VMs had a lot of BSOD. Terrible release.

19. seegeedubya

seegeedubya Bit poster

Can you tell me where I can find the 11828 bits? I have the same problem, in that the upgrade broke my bootcamp-based VM. I'd love to downgrade, if the bits are out there...

20. Schr

Schr Junior Member

Downloading older build of version 6

The only way I could get an older release of version 6 was to hunt down my original order confirmation email and follow the instructions to download the installer. Doing this allowed me to get build 11822. It's not perfect. There were certainly bugs in the early releases of 6, but I'm just going to have to deal with that for now.