Boot camp VM stopped working, unable to add new VM using Bootcamp

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by EmmaT, Dec 19, 2010.

1. EmmaT

EmmaT Bit poster

About two weeks ago, my virtual machine based of my Boot camp partition stopped working. It gave the following error message.

"Unable to connect Hard Disk 1.

A file or device required for the operation of Hard Disk 1 does not exist or is used by another process, or you have no permission to access it. The virtual machine will continue running, but the device will be disconnected."

I tried the following solutions, none of which worked:
    1) Restarting
    2) Opening the package contents of the VM and the hdd to check that I was the owner and had read/write permissions of all files (I did)
    3) Renaming the VM to the same name as my Bootcamp partition
    4) Removing the hdd file and adding it again
    5) Reinstalling parallels
    6) Repairing the permissions on my Mac using Disk Utility

When this failed, under the guidance of Parallels support, I deleted the VM and tried to install a new one from my Boot Camp partition. This has also failed, I get the error message:

"Failed to configure the Boot Camp partition's hard disk.

A disk configuration error has occurred. Make sure that you have read/write permissions for the disk."

I have tried the following solutions, none of which have worked:
    1) Repairing permissions using disk utility
    2) Installing NTFS-3G
    3) Ejecting the Bootcamp partition (required a force eject) and restarting
    4) Reinstalling Parallels
    5) Reinstalling Parallels 5 (didn't work there either) and then reupgrading to Parallels 6
    6) Running chkdsk on my Windows machine via bootcamp.

I can boot just fine into Bootcamp. I downloaded the trial version of VMware Fusion, and wasn't able to make a VM using my bootcamp in it either. I emailed parallels support, but haven't heard from them since Thursday. I am using Parallels 6 and Windows 7 64 bit.

Does anyone have suggestions?
    Thank you.

2. Artem Klimkin

Artem Klimkin Member

Please generate ProblemReport and post its number here.

3. EmmaT

EmmaT Bit poster

Problem Report ID

Here is the report ID: 7410566

Thank you for your assistance.

4. Artem Klimkin

Artem Klimkin Member

Thank you for the report.

At first glance, Parallels can not unmount you BootCamp partition during BootCamp VM creation.
    This makes impossible to create the VM.

Early you wrote :
    >> 3) Ejecting the Bootcamp partition (required a force eject) and restarting

Who do you mean "required a force eject" ?

Possible reason that you BootCamp partition is locked, and can not be easly ejected during VM creation.
    Some software can have opended files on your BootCamp partition and it can not be ejected.

Did you do any significant (or not) changes to your Mac system these "two weeks ago" when your VM stopped working?
    For example :
    - changed disk layout (used Disk Utility)
    - installed some disk software
    - installed some NTFS software

For now try to do this :
    1. Close all you applications.
    2. Unmount BootCamp partition (Do not restart and mount it back)
    3. Run PD6
    4. Create new VM with no hard disk in the configuration :
    - File -> New
    - Choose "continue without disk"
    - Continue VM creation
    - When finished, goto VM configuration and remove hard disk
    - Add new hard disk, choose "Bootcamp" as disk type.
    5. If succeeded try to start VM

5. EmmaT

EmmaT Bit poster

Got farther, but still not working

By "force eject" I mean when I right-clicked the Bootcamp Partition to eject it it said it was in use but I could force eject. I did.

I did not do any of the following (change disk layout, install disk software, install NTFS software) before it stopped working. I did install NTFS-3G under instructions from Parallels support after it stopped working.

I followed your instructions to create a new machine under the "continue without disk option" I then removed the hard drive, added a new one with bootcamp as the type. The machine started up and got to the part where it started configuring the VM.

I got the message:

"You need to log in to Windows to complete configuring your virtual machine.

If autorun is disabled, you will also need to open My Computer and run the Setup.exe file located on the CD, ignoring any Windows notifications. For more information, visit Parallels website."

However, when I hit okay, I did not see the Windows login screen. I just saw a black screen, the last line said:

"No boot device is available, press Enter to continue"

If I press Enter, I get the following message:

"There is no operating system installed in this virtual machine. Please insert an operating system installation CD into the optical drive of your Mac and restart the virtual machine."

Please advise me on what to do.

Thank you.

6. Bryan12

Bryan12 Bit poster

My bootcamp VM was also killed by the latest update.

I'm in a similar boat. I was running Parallels version US-6.0.11828.615184 without any issues using a Bootcamp VM. Once I performed the update to the latest version, I could no longer run the VM. I have no issues if I boot directly into Bootcamp, so I know my Bootcamp drive is operational.

I have tried multiple things to get the latest update to work and so far have had no success. I even did a complete reinstall of OSX, followed up by programs and manual data transfer, just in case there was some preference file that was causing issues. Even on a freshly installed system, and then a clean install of Parallels, I still get errors and am unable to launch a boot camp VM.

Once I upgraded Parallels to version 11992, my Bootcamp VM, which was working under 11828, returned an error:

Error: PRL_ERR_DISK_FILE_OPEN_ERROR (0x80021014)
    Path: '/Users/bkray1/Documents/Parallels/Windows 7.pvm/Hitachi HDS722020ALA330 (disk0).hdd'

I tried multiple things to get it to work, but ultimately just decided to uninstall Parallels and remove the VM file and start over. I then downloaded a fresh copy of Parallels, reinstalled it and tried to create a new Bootcamp VM.

VM install was not successful. After the full OSX reinstall, I still get the same error. Found some things on the forum and submitted a ticket with tech support ([Parallels #1059078] VM will not Launch following update) to try and get it back to a working state, which so far has not happened.

Some things I have tried:

1) Open Terminal and run the command sudo lsof -xf +d /Volumes/BOOTCAMP

It returned:

COMMAND PID USER FD TYPE DEVICE SIZE/OFF NODE NAME
    mds 27 root 16r DIR 14,3 12288 2 /Volumes/BOOTCAMP

I don't really understand what it returned, but that is what came up after I ran that command. As a side note, if I right click my boot camp VM and select configure, I notice that my bootcamp icon (The HD icon seen on the mac desktop) flashes. It immediately disappears, then comes back. It will do this two or three times and then finally it just stays there. On my laptop which I also run Parallels but thankfully did not update, if I open the boot camp VM the icon/mount disappears. I'm not sure if that provides any useful info, but I noticed it happening. I'm not sure if something is preventing Parallels from unmounting my Bootcamp drive, but I had thought the command above would tell me something.

2) I then ran "diskutil list" command next, to determine the device name for my bootcamp install.

Bryan-iMac:~ bkray$ diskutil list
    /dev/disk0
    #: TYPE NAME SIZE IDENTIFIER
    0: GUID_partition_scheme *2.0 TB disk0
    1: EFI 209.7 MB disk0s1
    2: Apple_HFS Macintosh HD 1.9 TB disk0s2
    3: Microsoft Basic Data BOOTCAMP 141.4 GB disk0s4

/dev/disk1
    #: TYPE NAME SIZE IDENTIFIER
    0: GUID_partition_scheme *1.0 TB disk1
    1: EFI 209.7 MB disk1s1
    2: Apple_HFS G-DRIVE 399.9 GB disk1s2
    3: Apple_HFS Clone 599.9 GB disk1s3

3) I then started up Parallels and tried to re-install a bootcamp VM. The "Create New Virtual Machine" assistant opened up.

1: I choose to install from: continue without disc

2: I selected windows 7 as my operating system

3: I checked "Customize settings before installation", then selected create.

4: A windows 7 - general window opened. I clicked on the hardware tab, then clicked Hard disk 1.

5: Under source, I selected my bootcamp partition Hitachi HDS.....

6: Under location I selected SATA 0:4 (I think this refers to disk0s4)

7: I then get the same error: Failed to configure the boot camp partition's hard disk. A disk configuration error has occurred. Make sure you have read/write permissions for the disk.

8: If i click more details i get the following info again:

Error: PRL_ERR_DISK_FILE_OPEN_ERROR (0x80021014)
    Path: '/Users/bkray1/Documents/Parallels/Windows 7.pvm/Hitachi HDS722020ALA330 (disk0).hdd'

This keeps happening for anything I do. Tech support recommended I try the following, which I have done but I get the same error. If anyone has any further ideas, I'd appreciate some help.

Hello Bryan,

Thank you for your response.

I am sorry for the inconvenience caused.

Please follow the below steps:

1. Launch Parallels Desktop application.

2. Click on the Window option on the Mac menu and choose Virtual Machine List.

3. Right click on the Boot Camp based Windows and then choose Configure.

4. Under the Configuration window go to Hardware-> CD/DVD.

5. Give the Boot priority to the Hard Disk by clicking on the Hard Disk and then clicking on the arrow mark.

6. Change the location to IDE 0:0.

7. Go to Hard Disk and assign the location to IDE 0:1.

8. Click on OK and then start the Virtual Machine.

Check if the issue is resolved.

Please let us know the status of the issue.

Awaiting your response.

Thanks'
    --
    Pankaj Kumar
    Technical Support Engineer
    Parallels

7. EmmaT

EmmaT Bit poster

Problem Solved, if you just keep trying

My problem has finally been solved after two remote sessions with Parallels support. They fixed the problem on the second try by following the steps listed in this thread by Artem Klimkin on Dec 20th. Choosing "force eject" on my Bootcamp drive was still necessary. The only difference is that instead of removing the hard disk and adding a new one, they simply changed it to the bootcamp disk (in my case this was Hitachi something or other). I had actually tried this before, but it didn't work. So my advice would to be to keep trying this solution, as apparently it may take multiple tries. Since it has been a month, it's also possible that Parallels was slightly updated and this makes the difference. I really don't know, but I just wanted to post that it did work eventually.

8. EmmaT

EmmaT Bit poster

Update: Must reset drive every time I reboot

As an update, after rebooting my computer, the Bootcamp partition was mounted again, and the VM didn't work, and I had to follow the steps to eject it and change the drive again. It doesn't seem ideal to have to do this every time, but that is what I am stuck with for now.