CPU Utilization with 3150 and Vista

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by iduff, Feb 7, 2007.

1. iduff

iduff Product Expert

There have been a number of comments regarding high CPU utilization with the various Parallels RCs, but my experience is different. Not sure what I'm doing, but on my laptop, here's what I see:
    MacBook Pro with 2.16GHz processor and 2GB installed, OS X 10.4.8,
    Parallels RC2 build 3150, Vista VM has 924MB main memory and 16MB video memory assigned,
    Vista Ultimate RTM.

When Vista is running, I'm seeing CPU utilization in Activity Monitor in the 90-120% range, which for my dual core CPU leads me to believe the processor is really running at somewhere in the 45-60% utilization range.

When I put Vista to sleep, the CPU utilization drops to somewhere in the 10-20% range.

For a beta product with the functionality of RC2/3150, not bad! Let's hope that with some performance tuning, these numbers drop even further!

Well done, Parallels development team. Now get cracking on a driver for 3D video!

-Ian Duff.

2. steve

steve Member

What? Is this some kind of tongue-in-cheek jab at Parallels? From reading the forums I think CPU usage for an idle VM is quite a bit lower than described. I am not currently using 3150. In fact, I was using 1848 until just a short while ago when I finally upgraded to 1970. Way too may problems with the betas so I've stayed away. Nonetheless, I've monitored this forum on a regular basis to stay current on progress. I guess my point of all this is, if these numbers really are representative of 3150 for an idle VM, this is a big problem ... show stopper I'd say.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2007