General instability since last update? Build 6.0.11990 (Revision 621014)

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by DJRumpy, Dec 23, 2010.

1. DJRumpy

DJRumpy Member

Ever since the last update was pushed out I'm getting random failures of startup services and programs under XP SP3. It varies from any random startup service, to whole segments of the OS failing like VBScript. I can reboot and a new set of services will fail. This started happening immediately after the last update. Usually it's a minor annoyance, but sometimes the errors require 2-3 reboots before everything works well enough. It also seems less troublesome if I allow the VM to sit for a few minutes before logging in.

Build 6.0.11990 (Revision 621014)

Anyone else seeing something similar?

2. lnemo

lnemo Hunter

Yes, me too (and also several dozen others throughout the forum). I remember a post by an Parallels official saying they already are aware of those problems and an update would come soon. This was almost three weeks ago.

3. DJRumpy

DJRumpy Member

Where was the official post? I glanced through but didn't see anything that popped out. Is it under the general forum?

Thanks

4. lnemo

lnemo Hunter

It was Post # 11 here.

5. DJRumpy

DJRumpy Member

That thread seems very specific to Outlook and HTML. Mine is just general flakiness in the OS itself, specifically with services, programs, or DLL's failing to load at startup. I just installed an update yesterday. Lets hope it fixes it.

6. DJRumpy

DJRumpy Member

Unfortunately it didn't resolve it. It ended up trashing my virtual machine. I had to restore from backup, which fortunately got that working again, but now the parallels tools can't be reinstalled. I even tried using an installer version from November. It just gets to 100% and never completes.

This is beyond frustrating.

These folks really need to work on their quality control and testing...

7. KlausB

KlausB Bit poster

Same with me. After last update I experience a lot of problems. Here is a selection of services not running correctly: norton internet security live update, control panel, parallels tools, explorer, spool subsystem, windows update,....
    Sometimes these services work, sometimes they don't.
    I restored a copy of my VM, but even this did not help.

8. DJRumpy

DJRumpy Member

The restore was just to resolve the corrupted image. It eventually become un-boot- able. It happened after installing 11990. I was hoping 11992 would resolve it, but it hasn't.

I was able to get the Parallels tools to install by deleting the reg key, renaming the c:\program files\parallels\parallels tools folder to parallels tools.old, and then just letting it sit for 60 minutes. The 100% bar did finally complete. I'm going to just try to revert to 11828 today, which was released in November. That was the last stable build that I'm aware of. Hopefully I can get the tools reinstalled.

This reflects very poorly that there are mass issues like this. The testing is very poor if they aren't catching obvious issues like these.

http://kb.parallels.com/en/8969

This kb mostly works except if there are DLL's in use. In such cases, you can't delete the files as instructed, but NT will allow you to rename them, and reboot, which frees them up for deletion.

9. narmida

narmida Bit poster

I have the same issue maybe it is a good reason to move to fusion.
    Happy user since version 3 but the stability begins to crumble.
    If i use parallels my mac can even lockup (since last patch) and that is weird.

10. lnemo

lnemo Hunter

Last stable update was 11828 ...

things got even worse with the latest update. Two or more processes crashed everey time the VM started. Among them the explorer.exe - that renders the VM completely unusable.

I reverted to 11828 (two versions before the actual) which was the last stable. It seems that the main problems are not with the Parallels tools but with the Parallels executable itself since the processes crashed even with Parallels tools completely uninstalled.

11. Hans Balen

Hans Balen Member

12. bdaehlie

bdaehlie Bit poster

also failing

My Windows 7 and Ubuntu 10.04 guests started failing after the 6.0.11990 update, 6.0.1192 doesn't help. Same symptoms others have mentioned already, just thought I'd add my voice here in hopes that Parallels recognizes what a serious problem this is and gets a fix out quickly.

(I'm using a newish Mac Pro with 2 4-core Westmere processors and 12 GB RAM in case this is only happens on some hardware.)

13. DJRumpy

DJRumpy Member

I ended up reverting to 6.0.11828.615184

That was the last stable build. No issues falling back that I can see.

14. lnemo

lnemo Hunter

So did I. Interesting - all problems went away except the html link failure in outlook. I had to set explorer once again as standard for html files and to restart outlook. Everything fine since then.

15. Schr

Schr Junior Member

Reverting as well

After several days of enduring massive slowdowns and Windows Explorer crashes, I'm reverting as well. I love how the support tech for Parallels tried to tell me that clearing out my temp folder would fix everything. They're ignoring this problem quite effectively.

Quick message for Parallels:
    You have a serious bug in your latest build. You must deal with it in a professional manner or the professionals using it will switch to another product.
    I respectfully request that you do the following as soon as possible:
    1. Post a warning on your website about this problem.
    2. Give the public an ETA for resolution.
    3. Describe in detail to your loyal users what steps you'll be taking to ensure that this type of problem won't happen again.

16. taco noche

taco noche Bit poster

+1

I tried downgrading Parallels (all the way to 6.0.11826)
    I tried rebuilding from scratch (Windows 7 Ultimate on 10.6.6 with Parallels 6.0.11992)
    Basically the only thing I installed was Norton Internet Security
    Epic fail in all scenarios

I've seen this movie before. Shame on me for thinking it wouldn't happen again.

17. Hans Balen

Hans Balen Member

DJRumpy; Do you have already received a response from parallels?

18. DJRumpy

DJRumpy Member

I haven't seen any responses other than from others experiencing the same issues. I ended up reverting to an older build as there was no response indicating that they were aware of the issue or that a fix was in the works.

Very poor communication of priority issues if you ask me. I have since stopped using Parallels for the most part and resorted to just using a physical machine.