problems with hal.dll??

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by bassgoonist, Dec 8, 2006.

1. bassgoonist

bassgoonist Bit poster

Well, I was really excited to test out parallels when I heard now it supported booting off a bootcamp partition. But, when I ever I try to boot with parallels, it says hal.dll is corrupted or missing. I know its there, and is fine...windows loads directly...
    Anyone have any insight into this?

2. richlin71

richlin71 Bit poster

i have the same HAL.DLL problem on my MacBook Pro Core2 Duo (2.33GHz, 2GB RAM). any suggestions?

3. atkjones

atkjones Bit poster

I had this but I was trying to reinstall windows in the boot camp partition and starting Windows setup from the CD.
    The solution is to go back into OSX, start the boot camp setup, blow away your windows partition by making OSX span the whole disk. Start again with Boot Camp, repartition etc.
    Obviously only do this if you are reinstalling Windows!
    Cheers
    Andy.

4. bassgoonist

bassgoonist Bit poster

Well, what I have done, is set a 5gb partition on the internal, then installed xp to an external (it needs the internal to write boot files to)
    SO I have no idea if that will work at all.

5. diamondsw

diamondsw Member

In a nutshell, the hal.dll file that Boot Camp uses (and all modern PC's) is the halaacpi.dll file, or an ACPI-enabled HAL. Parallels does not support ACPI, so in Parallels you have to tell it to use a different HAL.

First, copy the correct HAL from the driver cache:

copy C:\WINDOWS\Driver Cache\i386\hal.dll C:\WINDOWS\system32\halstdpc.dll

Then add the following line to C:\boot.ini, which will allow you to select an appropriate HAL at boot time:

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Parallels Desktop" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect /hal=halstdpc.dll

When in Boot Camp, select Windows XP. When in Parallels, select Parallels Desktop. Of course, I'm pretty sure the special "Parallels Tools for Boot Camp" (which is not the same as the normal "Parallels Tools" and only supplements them - confusing as all hell, I know) will set all of this up "properly".

6. cran

cran Bit poster

Any solutions to this issue? I got the message today that <Windows root>\system32\hal.dll is corrupt or missing.

This is very odd...I have been using Parallels (1970) for weeks and always shut down the VM when I'm done using it. I'm not running bootcamp at all.

7. mac wison

mac wison Bit poster

me also

Yep, been using Paralles since first days. Now it's ruined my Bootcamp (hal.dll missing)

I hope they fix this because this is a very serious.

Oddly, the Boot Camp partition will boot in Paralles (but no mouse of keyboard) but it will not boot directly (so I can't do anything)

I've tried using a VM xp to access the hal.dll file and cahnge it from the driver cache but it is protected and won't rename or delete.

8. cran

cran Bit poster

I searched all over the 'net and couldnt' find a solution to fixing the hal.dll issue in Parallels (not bootcamp)...i decided to just create a new VM and install XP Pro again...Gotta make another phone call to Microsoft explaining why I need an authorization key...wish me luck...

9. ekrosney

ekrosney Bit poster

10. cstraughn

cstraughn Member

All, make sure you are using build 3150 and set your OS to Vista in Parallels and try it.

11. erutherford

erutherford Junior Member

Alright, I am having this issue on several computers. The great part is that I know that Boot Camp worked before I used parallels. I have had this issue in Build 3106, 3120 and lastly 3150. It is an error in the boot.ini file from what I can tell (I can edit the boot.ini file once then it gets re-written and wont boot again. It would be simple enough if I could select my hardware profile on startup to boot camp but the arrow keys do not work. (not sure why). I read a forum post elsewhere about someone replacing the hal.dll file with one they grabbed off a clean (never been touched by parallels) box.

I have been trying get the beta team to respond to me for a couple weeks now with no luck. So much for beta support.

I haven't had a chance to attempt the hal.dll error but to be clear this isn't a problem booting to a boot camp partition in parallels, this is an issue with booting to boot camp directly. There is no issue booting through parallels.