Guest OS Network Fails After Host Resumes From Sleep

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by BennettD, Nov 11, 2010.

1. BennettD

BennettD Member

Hi Everyone,

I typically use WiFi on my MAC for internet connectivity. Most of the time, the Windows 7 VM has no problems seeing the internet using the "shared" network. On several occasions, when I resume the MAC from sleep the W7VM loses the ability to connect to the internet.

This doesn't always happen and because it has been happening I make sure the MAC has internet before trying to use the W7VM.

In order to try to restore internet connectivity to the W7VM, I try to disconnect and reconnect the network adapter and when I click disconnect, Parallels crashes :-( I relaunch the W7VM and it resumes exactly where it was, W7 didn't crash and the network IS working again. One catch though... Until I reboot the W7VM, I can't get back into coherence.

Oh yeah, as the VM is launching, I get a Parallels crash reporter. I've reported it several times...

Is this a known issue, should I be suspending the VM before sleeping the host, etc? Any pointers would be greatly appreciated.

My Host OS is: Mac OS X 10.6.5
    My Guest OS is: Windows 7
    My Parallels Desktop is: Build 6.0.11828

2. Elric

Elric Parallels Team

Hi

no, it is not a known issue.

I'd appreciate if you could send a problem report from menu Help -> Report a Problem and post here its id.

Note: it is note required to provide description or reproduce the problem or event start the VM. Just a report.

3. BennettD

BennettD Member

New Report Id

Here is the report id from the report I just generated: 7094778

I'm also attaching three crash reports I found in my system diagnostic reports for prl_client_app. Like a bonehead, I know I've reported the other crashes with the Parallels crash reporter, but I didn't note the report id and I'm not sure where on my system to find it...

Thanks for the help!

Attached Files:

4. Elric

Elric Parallels Team

Ok.. so, there are two issues:
    one is with networking after wakeup from sleep
    and another with crashes.

What about crashes: I'll contact proper team about this

And what about networking:
    I'd appreciate if you could next time when you meet the problem with network after wakeup you can send a problem report and post here its ID (before applying your usual workaround with disconnect/connect)

5. Elric

Elric Parallels Team

Seems that we have local reproduction of the problem locally on one of our Macs.. We will work on this issue.

6. BennettD

BennettD Member

Awesome news, thanks for the update :)

7. BennettD

BennettD Member

I have reported it, but I failed to note the ID. Is there anything local on my MAC that I can look at to view previously reported IDs?

Thanks,
    Ben

8. BennettD

BennettD Member

It just happened again...

Here's the report id: 7143199

Thanks

9. jchapman9

jchapman9 Member

Have you had a resolution for this problem? It appears to be the same problem I am having in the latest release of 6.0.

10. BennettD

BennettD Member

I don't have a fix, but my VM has stopped crashing. Right now I simply disconnect/reconnect the network to the VM and its back on track. It would be awesome to get an update from Parallels, especially since they've reproduced the issue....

11. bcrawfo2

bcrawfo2 Bit poster

I experience this as well. Interestingly...I'm pretty sure it happens with Virtualbox too.
    Subscribing to see if there are any updates.

12. Edward Simmonds

Edward Simmonds Bit poster

Same problem here

I'm having this same problem, and it's really making me regret upgrading to 6. This also happens if the guest is suspended and resumed (Linux guest here).

13. mordaga

mordaga Bit poster

I am also experiencing this issue with Mac Parallels Deskyop 6 and Windows 7.
    My current "fix" is:
    1) Open the Network and Sharing Center (by clicking the icon next to the volume icon)
    2) Click the X that is displayed between the Network icon (a house) and the Internet icon (a globe).
    3) This causes Windows to repair the connection (takes a minute or so).
    I do not experience any crashing when I use this "fix".