Can't import VM Ware image

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by soundevolution, Jan 18, 2011.

1. soundevolution

soundevolution Member

Steps to reproduce:
    1. Launch Parallels 6
    2. File -> Open
    3. Select VMWare image (guest os is Windows 7 64 bit.)
    4. Select the save destination

Error #1: Failed to detect the operating system installed in the virtual machine. Do you want to convert it anyway? => Select YES

Error #2: Failed to convert the virtual machine. Please contact Parallels support team for assistance.

I'm using the latest VM Ware Fusion 3.1.2 and the latest Parallels 6.0.11992.625164

Any ideas?

2. soundevolution

soundevolution Member

My VM Ware machine had two hard disks (C: and D: in windows). One was physically on another disk. I moved it inside the VM Ware package, and then Parallels could open the image.

There must be some problem with how Parallels locates the disk image files when they need to be converted.

After the conversion happened, I noticed that the Parallels Tools failed into install. After I manually uninstalled the VM Ware tools, the Parallels Tools installation succeeded.

Not quite a seamless transition, but looking okay so far...

3. soundevolution

soundevolution Member

Actually, there was some issues installing Parallels Tools:

* The automatic install didn't work. Rebooted several times.
    * Installing manually got stuck, went into manual mode and there was an Installation warning from windows about drivers not being signed.

I thought both of these should have been handled automatically...

4. WilliamR

WilliamR Bit poster

I'm running into the same problem trying to convert over a Chromium VMWare machine (Hexxeh Vanilla). How do you "move it inside the VMWare package"? Do you have to have VMWare in order to do so, or am I missing something here?