3150 - ACPI - Upgrade XP to Vista

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by iduff, Feb 2, 2007.

1. iduff

iduff Product Expert

I have an existing XP VM with lots of stuff on it. It was a 1970 build recently upgraded to 3150. Nice job on the additions!

Thinking that Vista might be Nice To Have, I created a new VM and installed Vista on it to evaluate. Vista's pretty nice, ran with no fundamental problems, so I decided to upgrade my XP instance.

First I deleted the test Vista VM. Then I booted into the XP VM, put the Vista DVD in, and told it to upgrade. It complained about needing ACPI, and aborted. I edited the VM config, changing the Windows version from XP to Vista, quit and restarted Parallels, and tried again. Still no joy.

I'm fairly confident Vista will install and run in 3150 <grin>. How do I get ACPI enabled in an existing XP VM so I can upgrade that XP instance to Vista?

-Ian Duff.

2. miker51

miker51 Member

I believe that I have read in other threads that you can not do an upgrade to Vista within a VM, you must (as you have found) do a clean install.

A bootcamp upgrade should work fine, just not one within a Parallels VM.

3. iduff

iduff Product Expert

It seems you're right.

I ended up booting from the Vista DVD in the XP VM, did a clean install, everything in Vista works, now I need to re-install all my old XP stuff.

4. kadamesli

kadamesli Bit poster

Vista and Bootcamp Work ?

Are you saying the a Bootcamp partition containing Vista actually works in a Parallels VM ?

5. iduff

iduff Product Expert

No, not Bootcamp. I have Vista running as a VM in 3150, in its own VM space, not in a Bootcamp partition.
    -Ian Duff.

6. cstraughn

cstraughn Member

Parallels team working on ACPI upgrade fix...

Got word from them today, they are working on the problem and should have a fix soon.

7. stormj

stormj Member

Incorrect.

That may be so, but it is possible to do an upgrade install. I've done it.

(1) Stop your VM.
    (2) Edit your Windows XP VM to be a Vista VM in the VM configuration (thereby enabling ACPI).
    (3) Reinstall Windows XP, otherwise leaving your prior install intact, but will now be using an ACPI HAL.
    (4) Upgrade that XP to Vista.

It's a pain, and it would be nice to have a utility that could change the HAL in XP without a reinstall, but I spent hours on that, and it's quicker to just to a repair install.

8. cstraughn

cstraughn Member

That's easy, just Google HAL2.INF and find an entry that talks about cloning windows and after you make the inf, you can update the "Standard PC" drivers to the HAL2.INF file which will allow you to select the HAL you want and presto reboot and you're all done without a reinstall.

9. cstraughn

cstraughn Member

Also, you will need to rename your c:\windows\system32\hal.dll to hall_std.dll and copy your c:\windows\servicepackfiles\i386\halacpi.dll to c:\windows\system32\hal.dll and reboot (after you complete the hal2.inf file instructions and reboot noted about)

10. cstraughn

cstraughn Member

ACPI Upgrade Workaround...

Guys, I have a simple way to upgrade XP to Vista. Parallels is working on the fix, but until then here is all you need to do:

1) Make sure you are using build 3150
    2) Set your Parallels OS to Vista
    3) Boot up to your XP SP2 OS
    4) From a CMD prompt, rename C:\Windows\System32\hal.dll to hal_std.dll
    5) From a CMD prompt, copy C:\Windows\ServicePackFiles\i386\halacpi.dll to C:\Windows\System32\hal.dll
    6) Uninstall Parallels Tools
    7) Reboot (XP may ask you to activate again - no need if you are upgrading to Vista)
    8) Let changes detect and complete (but cancel Found New Hardware), Reboot (again)
    8) Run Vista Setup/Upgrade Program
    9) Install Parallels Tools after Vista Upgrade is complete
    10) Kick-back and enjoy the wanna-be Mac OS called "Vista"

11. stormj

stormj Member

This works.... sometimes.

Other times, you get quick gnarly BSODs over and over. I have five machines running parallels, and only one got through this that way, and many other forum posters here also report BSODs doing this.