Vista Business: can't install from CD

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by eric_mazur@mac.com, Dec 18, 2006.

1. eric_mazur@mac.com

eric_mazur@mac.com Bit poster

I've just spent several hours trying to install Windows Vista Business (the release version) to no avail. I can't find any description of my symptoms, so here goes:

1. Parallels Desktop build 3036
    2. Windows Vista Business official release on 4 CD's (yes, CDs :( )
    3. MacBook Pro 17", 200 GB, 3 GB, 2.33 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo

I first tried this way of installing:

1. New Virtual Machine
    2. Windows Express
    3. After entering all the info, including the Product Activation Key I get the following error during booting (with the first of the 4 cd's in the drive; I can hear it spinning up):

"Boot from CD/DVD-ROM drive.... failed."

Then I tried installing over an existing (and working) XP Professional installation:

1. Boot up XP
    2. Click on drive D
    3. Select "Install Now" (rather than "Check compatibility online")
    4. After a "Please wait" screen, I get the following message:

"This computer is not compliant with the Advanced Configuration and Power Interface (ACPI) standard. Windows must be installed onto a computer that supports ACPI. Contact your computer manufacturer for a BIOS update or install Windows on an ACPI-compliant computer."

I've tried allocating up to the maximum of 1.5 GB, but always run into the same problems.

Any idea what I am doing wrong or what I could try?

2. eric_mazur@mac.com

eric_mazur@mac.com Bit poster

Sigh... no replies. I also wrote to the support staff, but they have not even acknowledged my mail.

Just for everyone's info: the symptoms are the same with the latest release (3094). I can't install from CDs.

Has anyone installed successfully from CDs? Has anyone encountered the same problems? Does any one have any idea what's going on?

3. rinconj

rinconj Member

I just received my DVD copy of vista business from Microsoft yesterday and I used version 3120
    and created a new vista VM and followed all the recommended options with no problem.

But after that, there are two urgent updates that include a Malware defender and another that once installed, vista seems to be stuck somewhere and never finished booting after over 30 minutes of waiting.

Another forced restart through safe mode shows it stops at running crcdisk.

So be careful not to install any update for the time being.

4. richardkingsley

richardkingsley Bit poster

Had the same problem exactly with the Vista Business Upgrade. Tried upgrading my parallels to 3120 rc1 with no luck.

Cant get passed the ACPI error message.

Anybody Else?

Thanks

Richard Kingsley

5. Sirreal

Sirreal Junior Member

6. cstraughn

cstraughn Member

Parallels team working on ACPI upgrade fix...

Got word from them today, they are working on the problem and should have a fix soon.

7. cstraughn

cstraughn Member

ACPI Upgrade Workaround...

1) Make sure you are using build 3150
    2) Set your Parallels OS to Vista
    3) Boot up to your XP SP2 OS
    4) From a CMD prompt, rename C:\Windows\System32\hal.dll to hal_std.dll
    5) From a CMD prompt, copy C:\Windows\ServicePackFiles\i386\halacpi.dll to C:\Windows\System32\hal.dll
    6) Uninstall Parallels Tools
    7) Reboot (XP may ask you to activate again - no need if you are upgrading to Vista)
    8) Let changes detect and complete (but cancel Found New Hardware), Reboot (again)
    8) Run Vista Setup/Upgrade Program
    9) Install Parallels Tools after Vista Upgrade is complete
    10) Kick-back and enjoy the wanna-be Mac OS called "Vista"