acpi isuue

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by howiefish, Nov 2, 2006.

1. howiefish

howiefish Junior Member

i am trying to upgrade an xp guest os to vista.* In version 1970 and am getting an error that my machine is not acpi compliant.* * I do not have this problems if I do a new install Any ideas?**

Last edited: Nov 2, 2006
  2. Andrew @ Parallels

Andrew @ Parallels Parallels Team

You should change guest OS type in VM configuration to Vista first.

3. howiefish

howiefish Junior Member

didnt* help.* Same error still pops up

4. stormj

stormj Member

It's a little tricky.

Here's how you do it. Change your guest OS to Vista, then reinstall XP non-destructively. This will change the hal.dll to halacpi.dll

I have experimented with the various ways of changing the HAL.DLL to HALACPI.DLL that are on the internet through a google search, but none of them worked under Parallels.

Reinstalling XP non-destructively using the Vista Guest OS settings is the easiest way.

After the install is complete, confirm in Device Manager that you have an 'ACPI PC' and not a 'Standard PC' then Vista will let you upgrade.

5. howiefish

howiefish Junior Member

Thanks, for the solution,* however because my original installation disk is service pack 1,* It is telling me that I cannot install the disk I have because it is an older version than what I have.* Any other ideas,* I really do not want to have to do a fresh install.**

6. demenas

demenas Junior Member

I did an "in-place" Upgrade of Windows XP SP 2 and it did not change the Computer type to the ACPI DLL and I can not upgrade to Vista.

Very disappointed.:mad:

Steve

7. bjackett

bjackett Bit poster

I ran into the same problem. The trick is you have to hit F5 during the early part of the setup process. You can then force the selection of an ACPI compatible PC. See this page for more details about using F5 (in a large box about half-way down the page):

http://www.theeldergeek.com/clean_installation_of_windows_xp.htm

Even though this page refers to a clean install of XP, it also applies to an in-place upgrade. After setup reboots for the first time from Windows, you'll see the option of hitting F6 to choose a SCSI driver. That's when you hit F5...

8. mellingham

mellingham Bit poster

I'm having the same issue with the Vista Business upgrade DVD. I have tried the steps outlined above (pressing F5 during install) but no matter what ACPI option I select (MP/UP etc) the installation hangs or shuts down altogether.

It's very odd as I have the Vista Beta running fine so that installer obviously detects ACPI compliant hardware when the XP install does not.

Anyone got any further on this one? I read another post where the author mentioned he booted from the upgrade DVD -- I don't think mine is bootable so it doesn't help.

Would love for someone from Parallels Team to take a look at this one -- it's the only thing stopping me from making the purchase!

9. dkmort

dkmort Bit poster

Worked for me

The F5 during XP Pro installation screen worked for me and let me select the ACPI HAL. I am running the latest unstable Parallels (RC2 Build 3150). It just came out this past week and is working SO much better for me than the previous RC build.

After doing a clean XP Pro install on a new partition, I was able to launch the Vista Business upgrade from within XP Pro, and it worked fine. I'm now running Vista (I opted for a clean install, FYI).

Good luck!

10. cstraughn

cstraughn Member

Parallels team working on ACPI upgrade fix...

Got word from them today, they are working on the problem and should have a fix soon.

11. cstraughn

cstraughn Member

ACPI Upgrade Workaround...

Guys, I have a simple way to upgrade XP to Vista. Parallels is working on the fix, but until then here is all you need to do:

1) Make sure you are using build 3150
    2) Set your Parallels OS to Vista
    3) Boot up to your XP SP2 OS
    4) From a CMD prompt, rename C:\Windows\System32\hal.dll to hal_std.dll
    5) From a CMD prompt, copy C:\Windows\ServicePackFiles\i386\halacpi.dll to C:\Windows\System32\hal.dll
    6) Uninstall Parallels Tools
    7) Reboot (XP may ask you to activate again - no need if you are upgrading to Vista)
    8) Let changes detect and complete (but cancel Found New Hardware), Reboot (again)
    8) Run Vista Setup/Upgrade Program
    9) Install Parallels Tools after Vista Upgrade is complete
    10) Kick-back and enjoy the wanna-be Mac OS called "Vista"

12. stormj

stormj Member

This just BSODs many install of Parallels.