3120: Cannot upgrade new XP VM to Vista

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by etrigan, Jan 21, 2007.

1. teg203

teg203 Junior Member

If a BSoD error is that blue screen that pops up really fast, I couldn't tell you what it says because it doesn't stay on the screen long enough to read anything.

So what I'm trying now is installing my copy of XP Home under a new Vista VM.

2. cstraughn

cstraughn Member

Okay. that should also work, just do a repair and then you can do the upgrade. no clue why the fast method didn't work on your system. I'm available if you need further help.

3. teg203

teg203 Junior Member

Would it be smarter to just use Boot Camp instead? I kinda like the idea of Windows living in an area separate from the rest of my Mac stuff.

4. cstraughn

cstraughn Member

You would get a much faster Vista and full graphics if you did it with Boot Camp, but as of yet, you have to hack a bit to get Vista to run under Boot Camp as Apple has not cleared it 100%. I like having everything available at one time and thus I run Parallels. I run 4+ operating systems at the same time with Parallels but I've got a Mac Pro and 8 gigs of ram. To each his own but I love Parallels.

5. tech_head

tech_head Member

Cannot upgrade new XP VM to Vista

Yes, yes, yes.

6. bobby0512

bobby0512 Bit poster

Same problem - Vista Upgrade fails

In addition to what you have tried, I did a clean install of Winxp/sp2 in a XP VM then after the install changed to a Vista VM. It booted up fine but i still could not upgrade to Vista with the same problem.

7. dentate

dentate Member

More basic than that--my XP Pro SP2 does not have a directory called ServicePackFiles.

8. cstraughn

cstraughn Member

Did you follow my instructions on page 2? PS - Backup first, some have had issues after step 6, others it has worked fine.

9. cstraughn

cstraughn Member

File attached, extract from ZIP (good for XP SP2). Backup first, some have had issues, others no problem - not sure what the catch is at this point. I've tried it on 4 different Macs with 4 totally different XP installs and it works each time, all systems running Vista after the upgrade without one glitch.

Attached Files:

10. cstraughn

cstraughn Member

What was your BSoD error? Were you logged in as Admin on the local XP box when you did the rename and file copy?

11. dentate

dentate Member

Thanks for the file...I had the same BSoD result as the others. Flashes by too quickly to read, something with a long string of 0's followed by a 7B I think , then a set of parentheses with more numbers...safe mode does not work either. Can't tell you more than that!

12. tejasfilm

tejasfilm Bit poster

I did this one guys and IT WORKS!!! Start with a install of XP or a fresh install, I used a fresh install. Note I'm running Parallels 1970 for Mac OS X cool.

So I installed Windows XP SP2 and then once that was done I popped the disc out and popped in the VISTA Business DVD and the autorun started and then I went through the steps necessary in order to install VISTA. I've been running it pretty steady for the past few hours.

13. tech_head

tech_head Member

XP to Vista Upgrade

Hi,

My issue is that I have software that will be difficult to re-license if I have to do a fresh install.
    Not having ACPI in the XP to do the upgrade is an issue. I can do a fresh install in a new VM no problem. I guess when I get home tomight I'll try to do a re-install of XP on top of the current install to see if that is any help.

I have tried a re-install of SP2 but the issue is that when installing SP2 you do not get an ACPI option. I even tried to force it by editing "txtsetup.sif" with no luck.

tech

14. stormj

stormj Member

I'm not being a thread nazi and trying to tell people to search, but I have posted here several times that the most time-efficient way to do this is thusly:

(1) Quit VM
    (2) Edit VM to be type Vista even though you're using XP.
    (3) Reinstall XP non-destructively.
    (4) Upgrade Vista now.

The reinstall will put the ACPI HAL on correctly with no BSODs, which is all I got when I tried renaming HAL files.

15. 33scottie33

33scottie33 Bit poster

It's working, it's working, it's working!!!!!!!!!!!!

Whew!!! I'm glad I saved a copy of my VM!! ;) OK , this is what I did:

1) Make sure you are using build 3150
    2) Set your Parallels OS to Vista
    3) Boot up to your XP SP2 OS
    4) From a CMD prompt, rename C:\Windows\System32\hal.dll to hal_std.dll
    5) From a CMD prompt, copy C:\Windows\ServicePackFiles\i386\halacpi.dll to C:\Windows\System32\hal.dll (at this step, I did not have the servicepackfiles directory, so I searched for the the file and found it in a cab file, extracted it to c:\windows\system32 and then renamed it)
    (6) I did not restart or uninstall PT after the rename.
    (7) Inserted the upgrade DVD (Ultimate)
    (8) Inserted the Product Key when prompted.
    (9) Selected the option to check for updates online.
    (10) I then got one compatability error about Windows Messenger, clicked next anyway.

The upgrade took about two hours (about 7 automatic reboots) and after the final reboot, I was asked to set the date/time and after I selected the option that I was at my work location, it blue screened. I restarted the VM and everything worked greate after that.

I uninstalled the old PT and installed the new. I did notice that some of my old shortcuts did not work though. Other than that, it works great!!! Enjoy!!

Also, thanks very, very, much cstraughn. Without your post, I would not have known where to start!!!!

16. dentate

dentate Member

No, still does not work. Set to Vista, reinstalled XP as upgrade, tried to upgrade to Vista, same ACPI warning. Also, I cannot find halacpi.dll on my system, so that did not help.

17. dentate

dentate Member

OK, got it now. After I reinstalled I found the cab file. Got it. Thanks1

18. dentate

dentate Member

Also note it was necessary for me to: (1) reinstall XP in order to have the hal.dll file available; and (2) convert to NTFS prior to renaming the hal files (my disc was bigger than 32 gigs). First time I tried without the reinstall the files were not there. When I changed the hal file names and then tried to restart to convert the file system, got BSoD. So, Reinstall; convert to NTFS if needed; rename hal and proceed