unable to switch to coherence after os software update

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by KrP, Jan 26, 2010.

1. KrP

KrP Member

A recent software update from apple to correct security issues (January 26, ,2010) seems to have caused an error dialog box to appear upon restart of parallells.

"Unable to switch to Coherence.

The virtual machine display configuration could not be applied. Please try again or contact Parallels Support team for assistance."

It should be trying to get into Crystal view.

I tried restarting, re-installing Parallels tools, and restarting again.

I have sent a problem report , but I am curious if any one else has had the same problem and found a quick fix.

2. KrP

KrP Member

Here is what I have tried so far:

I found that the the parallels video adapter and standard floppy controller were marked by yellow triangles in the windows~start menu~control panel~system~hardware~devices.

After trying to update their driver, which does not work, and trying to rollback the drivers, which also did not work, I deleted the devices and went to re-instaqll Parallels tools. After performing this step several times, I had finally got the machine to start up correctly.

Yesterday , after a restart of windows, it is all happening again. This time I can not recreate my apparently temporary fix from earlier this week. I now have 2 report problem Numbers (2462699 and 2396478) and have tried to use the email support but it does not want to accept my support code although I am told by another email it is unlimited for several more days.

I can live without the crystal view or coherence views, they were nice though, but the little window that will not get bigger is making me remember the xt days with a 9 in monitor.

I have also fiddled around with the video memory setting thinking that some tweaking was need. That did not work either.

3. KrP

KrP Member

No Response yet, But this is what I have accomplished so far:

Problem reports 2396478 and 2462699

Found in windoze control panel~system~hardware~device manager the parrallels video adapter is broken.
    I tried to reload the drive---no luck . I tried to roll back the driver --- no luck. i then deleted the file and re-ran install parallel tools. no luck.

After trying this path several times, I finally got the thing to work last monday. Yesterday windoze required a restart and now the whole thing is starting over. This time I am unable , so far, to trick it back into working.

I have tried to contact support, but am stopped with a message saying I have not input my support code, which I have done. I rechecked my support options and reregistered and it says unlimited and the expiration date has not yet arrived. still no luck.

I can live without the crystal or coherence mode, but it sure would be nice to operate autocad in a larger window.
    If i try to resize the window it leaves black bars around the windoze desktop screen and no resizing of the guest operating system.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2010
  4. Jason Cutler

Jason Cutler Junior Member

Happened just after upgrading to Parallels 5

Yes, it’s a "me too" post.
    I have someone here I just upgraded to Parallels 5 on Friday.
    This morning I got the same error message, and could not resize the Parallels window without causing a crash. Full blue screen of death! BSOD.
    I was able to reboot OK and resize the Window manually in the WindowsXP Displays Control Panel, but that’s not how it was working before.

Parallels 5.0.9344
    Mac OS X 10.5.8
    WindowsXP

5. KrP

KrP Member

Jason,

It seemed after all the fiddling I tried with the control panel and the video adapter, Vicram with Parallel support managed to fix the problem parallel tools and reinstalling parallel tools. This operation was done several times before the fix took place.

I have been able to fix similar problems on other machines in our office by going to the windoze control panel~remove programs and un-installing Parallel tools. Once Parallels is restarted you will need to reinstall Parallel tools.

6. GerryS

GerryS Bit poster

I have had many problems and can't seem to get any help. The list of problems with this software is so long it takes days to read through them.
    I think it is time Parallels Desktop refunded everyones money - or compensates them for their time trying to fix the multitude of problems (we did actually pay for the software after all) - and heads back to the drawing board for a few years to come up with a program that actually works. To come up with such a buggy program, take money for it and then expect the paid users to fix the bugs is not a good business model- unless everyone keeps using it anyway of course......are you one of those?

7. KrP

KrP Member

Currently, we (20 users) have no problems running autodesk and accounting software on parallels. I do not believe any of us have installed the last upgrade as things seem to be fine now.

I tried , over the Christmas break , to run some games through. Particularly Myst 4, Myst URU, and Myst Revelations. I thought URU was working until one puzzle I could not figure out. Online, I found out some of the graphics were not being generated and I could not find a work around. arg!! so close. I will try again someday.

But no problems for work programs and we will continue to use parallels until the rest of the world catches up.

What software are you needing parrallels to run and what is not working?

8. jbbarnes

jbbarnes Bit poster

Same problem here. It started in the last couple of days after installing some Apple updates. I'm running Parallels 6.0.11922 on a Mac Pro with 10.6.6. Reinstalling Parallels Tools did not resolve it.

9. KrP

KrP Member

jb,

I don't yet have 6.0 , but did you try uninstalling parallels tools from the control panel~All Control Panel Items~Program and Features~uninstall program? Then reinstall parallels tools?

This one time, after the apple update, fix seem to work for me on 5.0.