running a Mac OS VM

Discussion in 'macOS Virtual Machine' started by derek68, Jan 26, 2011.

1. derek68

derek68 Member

Hi, I just installed a new hard drive in my MacBook Pro and have purchased downloaded and installed Parallels Desktop 6. I have my previous hard drive (that was used in my MBP) in an external case and connect to the MacBook.

How do I go about simply running this external drive as a VM. I want to have my old drive running at the same time as my new drive while I pick and chose what I want to move over etc.

Thanks,
    Derek

2. soundevolution

soundevolution Member

As far as I understand, only Mac OS X Server is supported to run as a guest OS.

That said, is there any reason you can't just boot off the USB/Firewire drive? If you reboot the mac and hold down the OPTION key, you will have a choice of which drive to boot from.

If you're copying files/applications from one drive to another, I don't see any real need to have both operating systems running at the same time. But then, I don't know the specifics of your applications, either...

3. derek68

derek68 Member

Thanks. That is too bad! It's a shame as that is really the only reason I bought it...

I do boot of the USB/FW drive now and can certainly copy things over to the to the internal drive but it would be so much easier if I could have both running.

Thanks,
    Derek

4. soundevolution

soundevolution Member

By any chance have you tried using Apple's migration assistant to copy user files and settings, etc, from one drive to another?

Sorry if this isn't helpful... I'm just curious as to what exactly requires you to have both operating systems running at the same time...

5. derek68

derek68 Member

That is helpful...and thanks for your reposnse!

The problem with the migration assistant is that is wants to transfer "ALL" settings, applications and user files while I want to start fresh and only install the apps that I am currently using as well as current files. The other content will just remaining on the external drive as a backup if I need to access it.

Thanks,
    Derek