Control+F4 Not Work in Windows Machine

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by IdoR, Oct 13, 2010.

1. IdoR

IdoR Bit poster

Hi,
    I've recently upgrade to Parallels 6. I am using Visual Studio on the Windows machine I run in Parallels.
    Since I upgrade I can't use Control+F4 to close documents inside Visual Studio.
    It is very common key combination.

The problem is that Parallels treat it as Mac OS X system shortcut. I know this because I can go into preferences->Keyboard and if I uncheck Enable Mac OS X System Shortcut Control+F4 works, but now Control+1 which move to the first screen in Spaces is not working.

I'm pretty sure in Parallels 5 both Space change combination and Control+F4 worked together.

Is there any way to do that in Parallels 6?

Thank you,
    Ido

2. joevt

joevt Forum Maven

Try deselect "Use all F1, F2, etc. keys as standard function keys" in System Preferences -> Keyboard.

3. IdoR

IdoR Bit poster

No, I'm sorry to say it does not change anything.

Thank you,
    Ido.

4. Gary Kellogg

Gary Kellogg Member

I solved a problem similar to this by going into the Parallels General Preferences and working with the Keyboard Preferences. For example, I have a habit of using Command + Q to quit programs in general and I want to use that key combo in my VM. The "factory default" maps this combo to Alt + F4. However, on my MacBook Pro, actually pressing Alt +F4 in my XP virtual machine does nothing because I have set up the Mac so that I need to press the "fn" key to use the F keys at the top. I discovered that if I map Command + Q to Alt + "Windows Key" + F4 then it works. From within the VM I can also press Alt + Command + F4 to get the same result.

My conclusion is that the Command key is understood by the virtual machine as the Windows Key but am not 100% certain. Yes, I know that I can set the fn key up in the Mac Preferences so that its behavior is reversed, but I am not about to let the tail wag the dog. Mac preferences and habits prevail.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2010
  5. joevt

joevt Forum Maven

If you add CTRL-F4 to the Parallels Windows Keyboard profile, then CTRL-F4 will close the window in Visual Studio and it will also perform the Mac OS X system shortcut "Move focus to active or next window".

Parallels needs to fix it so that if a keyboard shortcut is defined in Parallels, then it should not also perform the Mac OS X system shortcut. This is normally done by putting the shortcut in a menu.

In the meantime, you can goto System Preferences -> Keyboard -> Keyboard Shortcuts -> Keyboard & Text Input, and disable the ^F4 keyboard short cut. The problem with this is that it disables the system shortcut for every app and not just Parallels.

6. soundevolution

soundevolution Member

Yep, that solved it for me too. I had the same problem and was hunting around in parallels preferences for the setting.

But the setting is in System Preferences -> Keyboard -> "Keyboard & Text Input" -> disable ^F4 = Move focus to active or next window.