3D Acceleration in VMware Fusion (Video)

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by MBX, Feb 7, 2007.

1. MBX

MBX Member

does the latest parallels rc2 have 3d acceleration like this?

because here is a youtube video showing off vmware fusion's 3d acceleration in the upcoming beta release: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xF_CoXsXtk4

2. sud0n1m

sud0n1m Bit poster

Your post is almost flame bait! I came here looking for an answer to the same question though :D

3. rcardona2k

rcardona2k Member

that's gnarly 3D, dudez

4. Stevamundo

Stevamundo Pro

Parallels 3.0 will have 3D.

I have to admit it though, it looks awesome.

5. mkummer

mkummer Member

Lets look who is first...

6. mgorbach

mgorbach Member

This looks great! Parallels will be implementing this soon I'm sure.
    Looking forward to the competition, and better products all round!

7. wesley

wesley Pro

Looks like I need to get ready to upgrade my Mac mini's RAM to 2GB....

8. dkp

dkp Forum Maven

I have complete confidence that Parallels will have this available. That, and access to all processors. There are a few must-have features both camps have to provide: USB 2.0, Firewire (in my dreams), 3D, multi-processor access, resource allocation management (cpu, ram, network bandwidth, devices) for those of us who run multiple vm's. They'll get there - have faith.

Edit: Just watched the video - even watching a 3D video filmed running in Windows running on a Mac from YouTube using Solaris running on a Mac you can tell that is awesome. There's a lot of technology represented in that previous sentence.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2007
  9. akac

akac Hunter

I'm sure that Parallels will have it, but somehow I have a feeling that VMWare will do it better. They've had more time to perfect it (having been doing on Linux too).

Honestly, I am close to switching to VMWare when it hits release.

10. dkp

dkp Forum Maven

Don't be too quick to jump ship - Parallels' parent firm is a long time player in VM provisioning, too, and I suspect they're not going to watch Parallels come in second.

Keep an eye out for the new Linux based KVM technology, too - it's free, open source, and could change the game. http://kvm.qumranet.com/kvmwiki/

11. logandzwon

logandzwon Member

thats pretty cool, and yes, Paralles has said they plan to implement 3D accel.

12. rcardona2k

rcardona2k Member

I wonder where VMware will be spending all that IPO cash they're going to get...

13. CountZero

CountZero Member

You guys do know that VMware has a bunch of patents on VM technology, right? One of them is the 'snapshot' feature, and that is why no other VM software has snapshot capability. Unless we run through all the patents VMware is holding we won't know what features Parallels can implement without violating patents.

14. MBX

MBX Member

what exactly is "snapshot" feature? not making screenshots i guess?

15. dkp

dkp Forum Maven

Let's say that you take a snapshot of your vm and then install a new application or game that turns out to be crap and even when you uninstall it, it leaves annoying remnants in your registry. You bring your snapshot forward and every change made since that snapshot goes away. It's like a live backup, but smaller.

16. rcardona2k

rcardona2k Member

I doubt patents are stifling SWsoft-Parallels. Microsoft Virtual PC and Server have undo disks which use the same underlying functionality but Microsoft have not developed it into any easy GUI.

The company I work for has multi-VM server snapshots for Virtual Labs which competes with VMware Lab Manager. We've been doing VM snapshots for over five years.

17. simplicity

simplicity Member

Yeah but only DirectX 8?

Looking at the demo, one screen said DirectX 8.1. That's all well and good, but how about DX10 for glass support?

18. hhwong

hhwong Member

VMWare is owned by EMC.

19. akac

akac Hunter

DX10 is not needed for Aero glass - only 9. In fact, nothing on Vista uses DX 10 yet. Some games coming will, but not yet.

Snapshots and other VMWare features are what are interesting to me. Reading the VMware fusion forums, Fusion is built off VMWare's WS6 which means a lot of features are in there that have no UI yet.

Of course I've already paid for Parallels, but when it comes time for Parallels 3.0 and VMWare - I'm going to be coming in and looking at both.

20. akac

akac Hunter

Yes, but EMC just spun VMWare off in an IPO. They are owned by them, but self-contained. So VMWare is getting some nice money there.