Please let me have my command key back!

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by jwiegley, Feb 1, 2007.

1. jwiegley

jwiegley Junior Member

I see that in the latest beta there is an option for swapping Cmd/Ctrl, or release CMD+<certain letters> back to the system. This is quite nice. But I can please have an option for Cmd-Tab to switch me out of my Parallels Window?

Thanks,
    John

2. BenInBlack

BenInBlack Pro

dang! thanks for bring that to my attn: it's about time ;-)

Ok now you need a little program that ive been using called autohotkey to map that combination while you are in windows

http://www.autohotkey.com/

3. jwiegley

jwiegley Junior Member

How do I use AutoHotKey to make Cmd-Tab switch me to another Mac application?

John

4. BenInBlack

BenInBlack Pro

assign the combo [Ctrl][tab] to cmd-tab

for the longest time I've used autohotkey to swap the ctrl-window key (mac cmd key) i use generic keyboard

5. jwiegley

jwiegley Junior Member

Forgive me for being dense, but could you please post the lines from your AutoHotkey file which do this for you? I can't find a key mapping for "Mac cmd" in their help file...

Thanks, John

6. BenInBlack

BenInBlack Pro

I have a microsoft usb keyboard.

Look at this link, and look at the lower 3 keys: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Keyboard_layout#QWERTY

im pretty sure that with this set on you now have to push the Opt key on Mac keyboard [Option][Tab]
    to get same effect, and Parallels maps the Option key to the Windows Key

Windows -> Mac
    =============
    Ctrl = Cmd
    Windows Key = Option

So, try this script

#Tab::^Tab

7. Lohmeyer

Lohmeyer Junior Member

This is still a serious issue with Parallels, but there is a work around to make Apple Command-Tab work. You have to turn off "Enable access for assistive devices" in the Mac Universal Access System Preference item. Uncheck this option and Command-Tab works to get out of Parallels. At least that's been my experience.

Unfortunately, some programs need "Enable access for assistive devices" to be on. My was on for a reason, and I can't remember why. For the time being, I have unchecked this, but Parallels needs to fix this so Command-Tab works regardless of this setting.

With "Enable access for assistive devices" enabled, you can still Command-Tab out of a Parallels VM if you first press CTRL-ALT (CTRL-OPTION) which will defocus the mouse/keyboard from Windows and focus them on Mac OS. Pressing CTRL-ALT in Windows will make all Mac OS keys work correctly because the mouse and keyboard are now directed only to Mac OS, not Windows.

Mike

8. jwiegley

jwiegley Junior Member

Interesting. I happen to need "Enable access for assistive devices" because I do a lot of UI scripting in Applescript, which needs that setting to be on.

John

9. jwiegley

jwiegley Junior Member

Dear BenInBlack,

I'm getting the feeling we're not talking about the same thing. I can't see any way for a Windows utility to somehow cause Cmd-Tab to get *passed back to the Mac host*. Once Windows takes over the interpretation of Cmd-Tab, it's going to stay within Windows; it's not going to pop back and allow me to select another Mac application. Are you sure that you're able to use Cmd-Tab to switch away from Parallels to, say, the Finder, when your Windows virtual machine has the focus?

This is a feature that Parallels itself need to provide. I would like a checkbox that says "Do not interpret the Command key", since I personally **never** use the Windows key for anything, not even when I have it available. I want Command to be the property of my Mac at all times, and not snarfed by any other application.

John