Various bugs and problems after upgrading to Parallels Desktop 6

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by grembo, Sep 13, 2010.

1. grembo

grembo Bit poster

Hi,

I just got the early adopters version of Parallels 6 (you had me at "discount") and experiencing a list of problems which make it hard for me to use it at all (most of regarding Keyboard and Mouse handling). All of these things worked ok in Parallels v5:

Running latest Snow Leopard 10.6.4 on a 2009 13'' MBP (8GB RAM/512GB HDD). Guest OSes are FreeBSD and Linux, no Parallels Tools installed.

1. Standard application keyboard shortcuts leave the VM. So e.g. pressing CMD+Q closes Parallels. Same for all the other shortcuts like CMD+H, CMD+W etc. Since I use those keys in the VM I'm about to quit Parallels by accident all the time.

2. When using spaces, changing to a fullscreen Parallels sessions grabs the focus immediately, resulting in the MacOS spaces indicator to stay on top (disappears when you change spaces again using the mouse).

3. The application switcher shows up when doing the 4 finger swipe left/right, but Parallels reclaims the focus immediately, so the application switcher stays there, but cannot be used (which used to be my way of switching to another application fast)

4. In general Parallels reclaims the focus a lot, so e.g. if you run in fullscreen mode, take the focus and go to Parallels very own Preferences menu, every time you're changing a tab in there the focus for keyboard and mouse returns to Parallels. Very irritating.

For the time being I'm forced to return to Parallels 5, so I can actually work. I hope these issues can be fixed soon, since the new engine seems faster and fixes some other problems I had in the past.

Parallels support was very nice and helpful in the downgrade process though ;) (still, no refund so far, so I just hope that the bugs get fixed).

2. Dr. Guru

Dr. Guru Bit poster

Still Has Big Bugs.....

Purchased Parallels 6 last week to upgrade my GIS machine. Previous install under Parallels 5 (typical WinXP machine on Mac Pro with 10GB memory and dual quad core) worked great. Upgrade to version 6 was a nightmare. Although it installed ok, the Parallels tools install crashed several times and took five tries to install. Mouse tracking after install was off by over 100 pixels and the GIS program I use (Delorme XMAP GIS 7) would crash every time I started it. Went poking around into other applications and they too also would crash or not even start up. Even Windows Update would fail to start.

Finally, I uninstalled the Parallels Tools, deleted version 6, reinstalled version 5 and reinstalled the version 5 tools and all is back to working fine. Something has fundamentally changed in version 6 that was not there before which is causing XP installs a lot of problems.