Visual Studio 2005 on Parallels -- Viewing on localhost isn't working

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by tinabel, Feb 7, 2007.

1. tinabel

tinabel Bit poster

Cross posted with more information from the HOWTO section, because I'm a bonehead and put it in the wrong place.

Hello all:

I've been searching for answers to this one for a few days now, and I even have our resident Visual Studio geniuses at work stumped. I've been having problems getting the "View in Browser" option to work in Visual Studio 2005, under the XP SP2 platform on Parallels.

At this point, I'm not even concerned with viewing localhost on the mac side of things (one hurdle at a time); I just want to be able to compile and view webapps on the windows side of the street. The problems that I am experiencing are:

- Browser spins its wheels until it times out
    - ASP.Net Development server is running, but nothing seems to be getting through.
    - I'm running the project from C:\Documents and Settings\USERNAME\My Documents\Visual Studio 2005\Projects

My configuration on parallels is this:

- I'm running a new macbook pro, 17 in. with 2 GB RAM.
    - Running the most recent release of Parallels
    - Running XP SP2 on the VM
    - Attempting to use Visual Studio 2005

I'm kind of drowning in this issue, and any life-preserver that anyone could throw me would earn worship and a godlike status.

Thanks,

Tina

2. darkone

darkone Forum Maven

are you using shared networking, host only neworking or bridged networking in Parallels ?

Have you got the windows firewall enabled ?

can you ping localhost and does it reply with 127.0.0.1 ?

3. tinabel

tinabel Bit poster

I'm using shared networking, the windows firewall is enabled, and localhost pings as 127.0.0.1.

I have the project saved in a few different places, just to see what's different. When it's viewed from C:, it waits for localhost until it times out. When I view from one of the shared folders (I have it set for the "Sites:" directory), I get a "[No relevant source lines]" error regarding web.config.

Am I trying for the impossible?

4. maverick808

maverick808 Hunter

How do expect localhost or 127.0.0.1 or anything else to work with shared networking? Use bridged networking... problem solved.

5. darkone

darkone Forum Maven

as maverick said, try using bridged networking. It may be that when you call "localhost" the shared networking component of parallels forwards the request to its localhost, which would be OSX.

Switching to bridged networking may solve the problem.

6. tinabel

tinabel Bit poster

I just set parallels to use the bridged connection, and that didn't work. Not only that, but the system froze, I had to restart, and now it's requiring me to re-install the OS. I upgraded to the release candidate a few days ago. Could that be part of the problem?

7. darkone

darkone Forum Maven

that shouldnt be the issue no.. what error are you seeing ? Changing that comonent shouldnt cause the OS to disappear unless its corrupted something (which would suprise me as ive crashed my PDM counteles times in some very spectacular ways without issues)

8. tinabel

tinabel Bit poster

It's giving me the message that no boot device is available.

9. tinabel

tinabel Bit poster

Ok, since that last message wasn't particularly verbose (sorry, it's been a morning already and it's not even 9:30), I get an error message saying that "There is no operating system installed on the virtual machine", and prompting me to re-install.

10. tinabel

tinabel Bit poster

Now parallels is working again--it was pointing to the wrong place for the preferences (I'm a total n00b when it comes to parallels).

Trying the whole bridged networking song and dance again--will report back with how it works.

Thanks for all your help, everyone!

11. maverick808

maverick808 Hunter

What is your network configuration? How is your computer connected to the network, and how is the network connected to the Internet?

12. tinabel

tinabel Bit poster

I'm connecting via ethernet, not sure of the network configuration.

On a much happier note, I was able to browse the project after some fiddling. It turns out that it was a problem with SQL Server configurations. I couldn't create a proper alias for the app to connect to until I disabled VIA.

I laughed, I cried... it was a truly touching moment when I got it to finally work. Now I just have to tackle the whole issue of getting things viewable on the mac side of the street.

Thanks again for everybody's help!

13. Voidmain

Voidmain Bit poster