Will Parallels Work For Me?

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by mraub1, Feb 7, 2007.

1. mraub1

mraub1 Junior Member

I've read through the user's manual and browsed some threads here, but have a couple of specific questions before I install the program:

1. The main reason I need Windows is to run a printing program called Qimage. I use it to uprez files to print on a wide format printer. If I uprez an image to print at 20x30", Qimage often creates a huge file, sometimes in excess of 700MB, to send to the printer. These files are not stored and I assume are temp files deleted after printing is completed. I have 2GB of memory on my iMac, but will probably be running Photoshop and some other imaging applications under OS X while Qimage is printing. Am i going to be able to allocate memory between OS X and the VM created to run Windows in a fashion to keep all these programs moving at a reasonable speed?

2. Another Windows program I'd like to use is one that downloads audio books from the local library. I understand the current build of Parallels has problems getting DRM rights for MS Media Player, which the program requires you to use. Is the DRM problem one that can be fixed as the software matures, or is it an inherent conflict between Media Player and Parallels that can't be fixed by the programmers.

Thanks for any advice.

MIKE

2. jaseone

jaseone Junior Member

1. Can't really say, however my XP seems to fly with only just 256mb RAM allocated to it but I don't really run much under it.

2. I can say the DRM for video.ufc.com works fine but I think that is separate to WMP.

3. sidssp

sidssp Hunter

As jaseone said, it is difficult to tell. So the best way to find out is to give it a try. My suggestion is to install Windows XP SP2 in Boot Camp so you can dual boot Windows, than install Qimage and make sure it works. Than download the latest Parallels build 3150 RC2 and get a 30 day trial key. Build 3150 allows you to create a Windows VM by pointing to a Boot Camp partition and share files with it. Since you have already installed Qimage in the Windows in Boot Camp partition, it will automatically appear in the Windows VM as well. Now you can test it out in Parallels. If it works, great, you just need to buy a key from Parallels and make your copy permanent. If it doesn't work, just uninstall Parallels and run Qimage native in Boot Camp. There is nothing to loss but a little time.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2007
  4. mraub1

mraub1 Junior Member

Thanks for the replies. If I have Parallels get XP from the Bootcamp partition does this mean I don't have to beg M$ for a new activation code to have Parallels and Bootcamp on the same Mac?

MIKE

5. sidssp

sidssp Hunter

I keyed in activation code when I installed Windows XP SP2 in Boot Camp. When I created Windows VM using Boot Camp partition, Windows detected that there were hardware changes and poped up a message asking me to reactivate it. I clicked a button and it was reactivated, I didn't have to reenter activation code.