Quicken 2008 fails under parallels desktop

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by dleepenn, Aug 15, 2008.

1. dleepenn

dleepenn Junior Member

I just installed Quicken 2008 on my virtual drive (not boot camp) and when I tried to restore files, it told me that the disk was not ready and died.

Has anyone been running any of the quicken products under Parallels??? This is probably the one product that I may have to keep a real PC around for. Makes me frustrated that there is not another option.

Hopefully, someone knows a trick for this.

Lee

2. Phil Gates

Phil Gates Bit poster

I have been able to run Quicken 2007 on the VM, but have been unable to register my QuickBooks Plus: Small Business Plus 2005/2006 on the VM. I too am stuck with two machines until I can get the Quickbooks running. Quicken Support have told me that they do not support VM. So, I am keen to see if you can get any answers to your challenges.

3. dleepenn

dleepenn Junior Member

The registration fails too. But the big error is when I try to get my data from the quicken backup files. I then get the error that it cannot read the hard drive. I'd bet it has something to do with file locking but have no proof to back me up. I also wonder if it might work better if I was running in a Boot Camp partition. I don't know if I can create a Boot Camp partion on my secondary drive which is a mirrored set or not.

I think I will end up with two machines under my desk. I found a Belkin DVI-D switch which lets you share a single BIG monitor between 2 different PC's. I may have to replace the video card in my WIN machine.

I have a couple of other WIN apps which might not port either. I already have the WIN hardware and software. In fact, I can use the WIN machine as a NAS and set my MacPro to backup to that filespace using Time Machine. It will probably work just fine.

Quicken is supposed to have a Quicken 2008 for the Mac. That would be even nicer.

Lee

4. John@Parallels

John@Parallels Forum Maven

Is registration Internet based?
    If yes, try to disable antivirus

5. dleepenn

dleepenn Junior Member

There is no antivirus installed. Plus... remember that quicken cannot access the hard drive which is a far more serious problem.

Lee

6. John@Parallels

Disable shared profile

7. dleepenn

dleepenn Junior Member

I looked up "shared profile" in parallels help and found nothing. How do I disable shared profiles???

Lee

8. John@Parallels

9. dleepenn

dleepenn Junior Member

Nope... Shared profiles were never enabled. I copied the Quicken backup files to my WINXP desktop. When I tried to get Quicken 2008 to restore from one of these backup files, I got the message "Disk is not ready" about 4 times and then got "File not restored".

Got any other ideas????

Lee

10. michaelxjw

michaelxjw Member

Lee,

I just installed Parallels 3.0 one week ago & then installed Quicken 2008 Premier. I have no problem with my installation & I was able to restore the Quicken file I had previously been running on my PC. I am using the OEM version of Windows XP Professional as my Guest OS.

Ironically, before using Parallels, I attempted to install the MAC version of Quicken 2007 & convert my Quicken files from the PC version. Despite the instructions from Intuit, the conversion was a disaster & I found the MAC version of Quicken to be far less usable than the PC version. This was one of the reasons that led me to instal Parallels so I could continue to run my PC version of Quicken on the MAC (I did not want to go the bootcamp route & contend with booting into Windows on startup). Thus far, I have not had any problems with running Quicken 2008 through the Parallels Virtual Machine.

You did not say... but are you running Vista or XP as your guest OS? Please note I am running XP Professional & that may make a difference. One of the reasons I moved to the MAC from the PC was my dissatisfaction with Vista.

I hope you resolve your problem but at least you now know that at least one person can successfully run Quicken 2008 Premier on Parallels. Good luck!

11. imref

imref Bit poster

I'm running Quicken 2008 just fine under XP in Parallels (no Bootcamp, everything on the Mac partition).

12. dleepenn

dleepenn Junior Member

I sure wish I was having a good experience.

Yes, I'm running Win XP Pro from an installation CDROM that is supposed to have all the updates already applied. Initially, the installation was running just fine. Then, I started applying microsoft updates and things have seemed to get worse and worse. Also, I downloaded the Parallels trial package and have been working from that tho I have not activated it. Is the full download parallels package more complete???

Quicken is a key package for me and I'm extremely upset that it does not work properly under parallels. I think I'll just flush the whole parallels and Win XP install and start completely over from scratch to see if some of these problems will go away.

Arrrgggggg

Lee

13. imref

imref Bit poster

I'm running Parallels 3.0 (build 5608) with an OEM copy of Windows XP that I purchased specifically to run under Parallels. I installed from a downloaded copy of Q08 that I bought via Intuit's web site.

I had zero problems getting up and running, the only problem I have now is with build 5608 not properly detecting my Internet connection (an annoyance since it's easy to fix).

So I'd try a fresh install of Parallels 3.0, install XP, run all your updates, then install Q2008 and see what happens.

14. John@Parallels

Are you trying to restore files from CD, if yes, is CD-DVD enabled in Configuration Editor - insert any other CD with Data , and check can you see it in My Computer

15. Dr._Zhivago

Dr._Zhivago Bit poster

Quicken 2008 will not launch

I'm having the same kind of problem. Quicken 2008 installs fine under Parallels 6.0.11992, using an installation of Windows 7 Home Basic. But when I go to run the Quicken program, it simply crashes. Every time. I've tried all the solutions found here, but nothing helps - it's exactly the same every single time. Any new ideas out there?

16. Mr Incredible

Mr Incredible Bit poster

Solved.

I too experienced this issue when running QB 2010 in Windows 7 in Parallels on Snow Leopard.

I'll be brief:-!

When you configure the Windows machine in Parallels, you can select shared or bridged network.

When using the shared network, Parallels acts as a DHCP server for the machine, and issues an "internal" IP address like 10.211.55.63 (or whatever).

Add this IP address to the hosts file:-

127.0.0.1 .psf
    127.0.0.1 psf
    10.211.55.63 .psf
    10.211.55.63 psf

I flushed the DNS cache, and QB opened a file on the shared local folder under parallels.

Hope that helps someone!

17. Dr._Zhivago

Dr._Zhivago Bit poster

That's really helpful - can you tell me where I find the hosts file?

18. Mr Incredible

Mr Incredible Bit poster

In the windows client, the location of the hosts file is:

c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc

The file does not have the usual "windows" 3 character extension. It's just a plain text file with the name "hosts".

HTH

19. Mr Incredible

Mr Incredible Bit poster

And don;t forget to look at the actual IP address that Parallels issues to the shared network machine. Again under the windows client, run "cmd" and then type, ipconfig <enter> and see what it is. You need to use that in the hosts file, and not the example I gave.

20. Dr._Zhivago

Dr._Zhivago Bit poster

Many thanks. I tried that, along with all the other suggestions, but it has not helped. The error message I get every time is that the application launcher has quit. This is the detail provided:

Сигнатура проблемы:
    Имя события проблемы: APPCRASH
    Имя приложения: qw.exe
    Версия приложения: 17.1.3.7
    Отметка времени приложения: 46f308f9
    Имя модуля с ошибкой: KERNELBASE.dll
    Версия модуля с ошибкой: 6.1.7600.16385
    Отметка времени модуля с ошибкой: 4a5bdaae
    Код исключения: c06d007e
    Смещение исключения: 00009617
    Версия ОС: 6.1.7600.2.0.0.768.2
    Код языка: 2057