Enough is enough

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by ChristophL, Dec 30, 2010.

1. rauckr

rauckr Member

Parallels Trashing VM

I have the same problem. I will try the earlier version (11828).

2. gma

gma Bit poster

eve of destruction

I also destroyed several virtual machines by this update and also by using the updates before. So I'll go to VMWare because such issues are not acceptable.

3. rauckr

rauckr Member

Roll Back of Parallels

I rolled Parallels back to 11828, reinstalled Parallels Tools and then repaired the damage to the Guest Operating Systems (XP was by far worse than Windows 7 for whatever reason). So far everything looks good now. I am back to being able to use Windows again. I feel like the man who severely stubbed his toe and was kept going by thoughts of how good it was going to feel once the pain quit.

I am going to be scared to install future updates after this experience.

4. JoyC

JoyC Bit poster

I am giving up on 11992 as well, and going back to 11828 after many many crashes and freezes. 11992 is way too unstable.

5. rauckr

rauckr Member

Parallels still pushing 11992....why?

While I was rolling back to 11828, there was a dialog box strongly recommending I upgrade to the latest release instead. Since then I get pop-ups at least once a day announcing the latest release and recommending everyone upgrade to it. Why on earth isn't this stopped until the problem is solved? This makes no sense.

6. Lorne Johnson

Lorne Johnson Bit poster

I've been having various problems using the latest Parallels build (11992) as well. Usually of the form Windows 7 not being able to start a service, Kapersky saying it's database was corrupt, or Windows explorer crashing. Most recent issue: Windows 7 detected a bad volume on startup and ran chkdisk.

I had thought it had something to do with increasing the number of CPU's from 1->2 as that was something I remember changing when the problems started. I noticed that I had also increased the memory to 2GB, so I've now dialed that down to 1GB.

So far so good, with 1 CPU and 1GB of RAM.

Running on a 2 x 2.8 Quad Core Intel Xeon Mac Pro with 10 GB of RAM.

7. rauckr

rauckr Member

Alternative to roll back

Even if 1 CPU and 1 G-Byte of RAM is a work around, it does not help me. I am a consulting engineer and need the full capability of my machine. The roll back worked and I did not have to cripple my machine.

8. Lorne Johnson

Lorne Johnson Bit poster

I agree that dumbing down the machine is not a good solution - hopefully Parallels will fix this problem quickly so we don't have to do this.

9. wryanthomas

wryanthomas Bit poster

Me too

Just sent in report to parallels with host panic details. Am at 2 CPU & 4G RAM on a Win7 (64-bit) VM. My host panic occurs only every few (2-10) days. Will try restarting occasionally and hope for update (with fix) soon. Am very disappointed to see this thread and no recognition of this issue in their knowledgebase.

10. Peter Linsener

Peter Linsener Junior Member

Yep, mee too, Parallels 5 was fine, but since i upgraded to version 6 last week I have a daily kernel panic at least, not matter what I'm actually doing in Windows, problem Report 7906941.