Lion Beta Compatibility

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by blueicee414, Feb 24, 2011.

1. blueicee414

blueicee414 Bit poster

was wondering if there are any plans to support the lion beta? just installed the developer beta for lion and to my dismay i cannot get either of my guest os to start. windows 7 nor xp work. just sit trying to spin up. latest version of parallels installed.

thanks.

2. blueicee414

blueicee414 Bit poster

just as a follow up, i opened a ticket with support to see if they'll be supporting the lion beta. someone picked it up this morning. will post an update as soon as i hear more.

3. eweber

eweber Bit poster

Same problems here. It doesn't seem to see the virtualization extensions and also mentions to reboot to install a driver.

4. MikeMo

MikeMo Member

Are you guys allowed to talk about this on the Parallels forum? You may be breaching your AppleSeed/Developer confidentiality agreement.

Just saying ;)

5. Strapples

Strapples Member

no breach since we are not releasing any details of the os aside from a non working program

6. Strapples

Strapples Member

Code:
    alin-laptop-new:~ alinsteglinski$ sudo kextutil "/Library/Parallels/Parallels Service.app/Contents/Kexts/10.6/prl_hypervisor.kext"
    Warnings: 
        The booter does not recognize symbolic links; confirm these files/directories aren't needed for startup: 
            /Library/Parallels/Parallels Service.app/Contents/Kexts/10.6/prl_hypervisor.kext/Contents/CodeDirectory
            /Library/Parallels/Parallels Service.app/Contents/Kexts/10.6/prl_hypervisor.kext/Contents/CodeRequirements
            /Library/Parallels/Parallels Service.app/Contents/Kexts/10.6/prl_hypervisor.kext/Contents/CodeResources
            /Library/Parallels/Parallels Service.app/Contents/Kexts/10.6/prl_hypervisor.kext/Contents/CodeSignature

alin-laptop-new:~ alinsteglinski$ sudo kextutil "/Library/Parallels/Parallels Service.app/Contents/Kexts/10.6/prl_hid_hook.kext"
    Warnings: 
        The booter does not recognize symbolic links; confirm these files/directories aren't needed for startup: 
            /Library/Parallels/Parallels Service.app/Contents/Kexts/10.6/prl_hid_hook.kext/Contents/CodeDirectory
            /Library/Parallels/Parallels Service.app/Contents/Kexts/10.6/prl_hid_hook.kext/Contents/CodeRequirements
            /Library/Parallels/Parallels Service.app/Contents/Kexts/10.6/prl_hid_hook.kext/Contents/CodeResources
            /Library/Parallels/Parallels Service.app/Contents/Kexts/10.6/prl_hid_hook.kext/Contents/CodeSignature

alin-laptop-new:~ alinsteglinski$ sudo kextutil "/Library/Parallels/Parallels Service.app/Contents/Kexts/10.6/prl_usb_connect.kext"
    Warnings: 
            /Library/Parallels/Parallels Service.app/Contents/Kexts/10.6/prl_usb_connect.kext/Contents/CodeDirectory
            /Library/Parallels/Parallels Service.app/Contents/Kexts/10.6/prl_usb_connect.kext/Contents/CodeRequirements
            /Library/Parallels/Parallels Service.app/Contents/Kexts/10.6/prl_usb_connect.kext/Contents/CodeResources
            /Library/Parallels/Parallels Service.app/Contents/Kexts/10.6/prl_usb_connect.kext/Contents/CodeSignature

alin-laptop-new:~ alinsteglinski$ sudo kextutil "/Library/Parallels/Parallels Service.app/Contents/Kexts/10.6/prl_netbridge.kext"
    Warnings: 
            /Library/Parallels/Parallels Service.app/Contents/Kexts/10.6/prl_netbridge.kext/Contents/CodeDirectory
            /Library/Parallels/Parallels Service.app/Contents/Kexts/10.6/prl_netbridge.kext/Contents/CodeRequirements
            /Library/Parallels/Parallels Service.app/Contents/Kexts/10.6/prl_netbridge.kext/Contents/CodeResources
            /Library/Parallels/Parallels Service.app/Contents/Kexts/10.6/prl_netbridge.kext/Contents/CodeSignature

alin-laptop-new:~ alinsteglinski$ sudo kextutil "/Library/Parallels/Parallels Service.app/Contents/Kexts/10.6/prl_vnic.kext"
    Warnings: 
            /Library/Parallels/Parallels Service.app/Contents/Kexts/10.6/prl_vnic.kext/Contents/CodeDirectory
            /Library/Parallels/Parallels Service.app/Contents/Kexts/10.6/prl_vnic.kext/Contents/CodeRequirements
            /Library/Parallels/Parallels Service.app/Contents/Kexts/10.6/prl_vnic.kext/Contents/CodeResources
            /Library/Parallels/Parallels Service.app/Contents/Kexts/10.6/prl_vnic.kext/Contents/CodeSignature

alin-laptop-new:~ alinsteglinski$ 
    hmm time for a reboot aye?

7. MartyMcr

MartyMcr Hunter

Excellent that got things working again for me - big relief.

8. Strapples

Strapples Member

what did you do to get it to work?

9. MartyMcr

MartyMcr Hunter

Ran the script in a terminal prompt, then started my VM's one by one, switched to bridged networking and they were fine. This was all on an iMac

Trying the same on my Macbook Air and it's not happy! Seem to have lost about 40GB of disk space and can't find where it's gone, really weird. Parallels won't start either - looks like I'll be reinstalling OSX 10.6 on this machine at least.

10. arhoads76

arhoads76 Bit poster

I get the same 40GB drop...

...and the same symlinks warnings.
    Anyone figure out what causes it?

11. arhoads76

arhoads76 Bit poster

12. PaulU

PaulU Bit poster

Hi,
    This gets my VM up and running, but I have to run it each time I restart Parallels?

13. boykoy

boykoy Bit poster

Loaded the kexts and vm seem to start and work fine, but I am unable to switch to the vm window. No matter if its running in fullscreen, in a window or another mode, the only way I can see a running virtual machine is by click+hold the parallels icon in the dock, then I see all Parallels windows (including the running vm). Once I click the vm window from the list it minimizes to the upper left corner and does not display.

So, running virtual machines but can't actually use them. Ideas? Thanks!

14. MikeMo

MikeMo Member

Have you tried accessing the windows via LaunchPad?

15. boykoy

boykoy Bit poster

How should accessing via LaunchPad differ from just clicking the Parallels Desktop icon in the dock?

Just tried, same thing - active windows become background windows, but the VM window does not popup at all. Tried accessing the windows start menu by right-clicking Parallels icon in the dock, no luck again.

16. DarienJim

DarienJim Junior Member

I cannot get this to work

For password I assume that is the system password. That seems to take, then I get the same long error message:

Last login: Sat Mar 5 14:33:58 on console
    James-Coley-MBP17:~ jcoley2$ for x in prl_hypervisor prl_hid_hook prl_usb_connect prl_netbridge prl_vnic; do
    > sudo kextutil "/Library/Parallels/Parallels Service.app/Contents/Kexts/10.6/$x.kext"
    > done
    Password:
    Warnings:
    /Library/Parallels/Parallels Service.app/Contents/Kexts/10.6/prl_hypervisor.kext/Contents/CodeDirectory
    /Library/Parallels/Parallels Service.app/Contents/Kexts/10.6/prl_hypervisor.kext/Contents/CodeRequirements
    /Library/Parallels/Parallels Service.app/Contents/Kexts/10.6/prl_hypervisor.kext/Contents/CodeResources
    /Library/Parallels/Parallels Service.app/Contents/Kexts/10.6/prl_hypervisor.kext/Contents/CodeSignature

Warnings:
    /Library/Parallels/Parallels Service.app/Contents/Kexts/10.6/prl_hid_hook.kext/Contents/CodeDirectory
    /Library/Parallels/Parallels Service.app/Contents/Kexts/10.6/prl_hid_hook.kext/Contents/CodeRequirements
    /Library/Parallels/Parallels Service.app/Contents/Kexts/10.6/prl_hid_hook.kext/Contents/CodeResources
    /Library/Parallels/Parallels Service.app/Contents/Kexts/10.6/prl_hid_hook.kext/Contents/CodeSignature

Warnings:
    /Library/Parallels/Parallels Service.app/Contents/Kexts/10.6/prl_usb_connect.kext/Contents/CodeDirectory
    /Library/Parallels/Parallels Service.app/Contents/Kexts/10.6/prl_usb_connect.kext/Contents/CodeRequirements
    /Library/Parallels/Parallels Service.app/Contents/Kexts/10.6/prl_usb_connect.kext/Contents/CodeResources
    /Library/Parallels/Parallels Service.app/Contents/Kexts/10.6/prl_usb_connect.kext/Contents/CodeSignature

Warnings:
    /Library/Parallels/Parallels Service.app/Contents/Kexts/10.6/prl_netbridge.kext/Contents/CodeDirectory
    /Library/Parallels/Parallels Service.app/Contents/Kexts/10.6/prl_netbridge.kext/Contents/CodeRequirements
    /Library/Parallels/Parallels Service.app/Contents/Kexts/10.6/prl_netbridge.kext/Contents/CodeResources
    /Library/Parallels/Parallels Service.app/Contents/Kexts/10.6/prl_netbridge.kext/Contents/CodeSignature

Warnings:
    /Library/Parallels/Parallels Service.app/Contents/Kexts/10.6/prl_vnic.kext/Contents/CodeDirectory
    /Library/Parallels/Parallels Service.app/Contents/Kexts/10.6/prl_vnic.kext/Contents/CodeRequirements
    /Library/Parallels/Parallels Service.app/Contents/Kexts/10.6/prl_vnic.kext/Contents/CodeResources
    /Library/Parallels/Parallels Service.app/Contents/Kexts/10.6/prl_vnic.kext/Contents/CodeSignature

17. DarienJim

DarienJim Junior Member

This script is not working. It says it is invalid.

Also, I am trying to run my Parallels with the scripts outlined above and even after an hour, it does not work.

18. Palladion

Palladion Bit poster

Make sure that you are not only use the script above (ignore the warnings) every time you boot Lion AND turn of Local Snapshots (In Preferences - Time Machine - Options).

Local Snapshots stopped my VM from starting. Once I turned this feature off (and used the terminal script) now my VM comes up just as fast as it would be using SL.

Hope that helps you.

19. Melvin Tan

Melvin Tan Bit poster

I've experienced the same problem. But it seems like after I've removed Parallels Desktop from the Application Assignments (System Preferences - Expose & Spaces), the VM Window now appears correctly.

20. WimDS

WimDS Hunter

Works, thx! :-D