How do I add a file extension association in SmartSelect - Parallels 5

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by GPWeller, Feb 28, 2011.

1. GPWeller

GPWeller Member

I have researched this and cannot find a solution. I am unable to open WordPerfect files with WordPerfect X4 from the OSX Finder. There is no ".wpd" file extension in the SmartSelect "file associations" drop-down lists. See Configuration -> Shared Applications -> SmartSelect Associations.

How do I manually add a file association?

Parallels Build 5.0.9376
    Revision 599993

Model Name: MacBook Pro - SL 10.6
    Model Identifier: MacBookPro6,1
    Processor Name: Intel Core i5
    Processor Speed: 2.53 GHz
    Number Of Processors: 1
    Total Number Of Cores: 2
    L2 Cache (per core): 256 KB
    L3 Cache: 3 MB
    Memory: 4 GB
    Processor Interconnect Speed: 4.8 GT/s
    Boot ROM Version: MBP61.0057.B0C
    SMC Version (system): 1.57f17

Attached Files:

2. Roman Fattakhov

Roman Fattakhov Parallels Team

Have you tried to enable Shared Profile? you may also try to share Mac OS X disks and set file assocoation once again

3. GPWeller

GPWeller Member

Roman, thanks for responding.

I went and enabled Shared Profile, logged back in, re-enabled SmartSelect; and there was no change.

I have just gone back and disabled Shared Profile, because I hate it.

I cannot believe that there is no way simply to add a file extension and associate a windows program with it. This seems like a dirt simple concept.

4. DeShawnB

DeShawnB Hunter

We're always looking to improve our product and open to suggestions! So thank you! Have you gone into our Feature Suggestions forums? If you have any other suggestions, head in there and post them: http://forum.parallels.com/forumdisplay.php?f=28

5. GPWeller

GPWeller Member

Is this your special way of telling me that I cannot add a file extension and association, as I described?

6. GPWeller

GPWeller Member

Solved

There is an app for the Mac called Magic Launch. This is a preference pane that allows you to specify an app to open a file type in OSX. I have set .wpd documents to be opened by Corel WordPerfect, and .qpw files to be opened by Corel Quattro Pro. Works fine. Problem solved.