Windows Vista

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by mike3k, Jun 8, 2006.

1. maverick808

maverick808 Hunter

It doesn't work in a Bootcamp partition in 3150 RC2 does it? If it doesn't, then that version can't FULLY support Vista can it?

2. Andrew @ Parallels

Andrew @ Parallels Parallels Team

Apple doesn't officially support Vista in Boot Camp (only XP SP2).

3. maverick808

maverick808 Hunter

...but even though Apple does not officially support Vista in Boot Camp, Vista DOES work perfectly in Boot Camp. Why does Parallels not work with Vista partitions, when Boot Camp does?

4. Andrew @ Parallels

maverick808,

OK, I got it. We will consider possibility to support Vista in Boot Camp.

5. maverick808

maverick808 Hunter

I'm sure you were going to add it anyway. And I'm not having a go about it not being there yet. If anything, I am genuinely curious as to why it doesn't work. Vista works fine with a virtual disk, and it uses the same file systems (FAT and NTFS) that XP does. I genuinely wonder what the technical reason it doesn't work when booting from the real partition is.

Anyway, thanks for answering, and I patiently look forward to Vista Boot Camp support when you do add it.

Much thanks Andrew.

6. alain

alain Bit poster

Finally, someone from Parallels Team answers to this question. I 'm very happy to see that Vista Bootcamp will be considered to be supported. As Maverick808 says, I don't really see where is the difference between XP from VM and XP from bootcamp AND Vista from VM and Vista from bootcamp.

We can also say that Parallels support Vista from VM and it works well.

Thanks for us (Vista early adopter, Parallels new version early adopter),

Alain

Last edited: Feb 9, 2007
  7. simplicity

simplicity Member

Well, this is from a completely outsider perspective.

When you run XP Bootcamp in Vista, it appears parallels does a little dance and messes with your boot.ini file to have it load a different kernel and different hardware profile. If you watch it boot, you see the boot menu come up very quickly before it continues to boot.

The booting system in Vista is actually quite different, no more boot.ini. It's possible thats the reason it won't work.

The activation schemes are also different so if you got it to boot, it would most likely not be activated.

So I think these are the two main problems that need to be overcome before you can bootcamp Vista in Parallels.

Of course I could be totally wrong which is usually the case...

8. michaelmantkowski

michaelmantkowski Bit poster

Vista "Fully Supported"?

I am confussed... Andrew states that Vista is "Fully Supported" in build 1970 and 3150. Yet I and many others are not able to upgrade our XP VMs to Vista because of the ACPI issue.

I know that some users have gottten around this through a multi install process and creating a new VM (Tricking the Vista Upgrade into doing a fresh install.). But not being able to update your current VM and losing all your settings, programs and data does not seem to be "Fully Supported" to me.

Did I miss something that will allow me to update my XP VM? I have been just waiting for the next Parallels release assuming they would fix it. Right now my Vista Ultimate upgrade is sitting here collecting dust while I am still using XP.

9. ploshayc

ploshayc Bit poster

Vista on parallels 3150

I am installing vista on a MacBook Pro with a 2.33GHz Core 2 Duo processor, Vista will only recognize 1 of the cores of the processor. Will this be fixed in a future build? Thanks

10. Andrew @ Parallels

ploshayc,

It is not a bug. It is intentional design which brings optimal performance and simultaneous executing of 2 operating systems - Mac OS X and Windows Vista. 1 core is used by Mac OS X and 1 core by Windows Vista.

11. Andrew @ Parallels

Problem with upgrade from Windows XP to Windows Vista is nown issue and we are working on it. Final GA version will have fix for it.

12. ploshayc

ploshayc Bit poster

Thank you for the reply however, With the experience I am observing right now vista home premium runs very sluggish, even with 1024MB of RAM. It idles using about 690MB of RAM but the processor idles around 60% usage and when executing anything it jumps to 100% usage.

13. drval

drval Pro

Have you tried changing the allocation for Video Memory? I'm now running XP with 32 MB of Video Memory allocated and finding that I prefer this, possibly because I'm using two displays.

14. VTMac

VTMac Pro

How much RAM do you have installed? Try lowering your RAM allocation for your VM. It sounds odd, but in many cases (most?) it will yield better performance.

15. southwos

southwos Bit poster

I have Parallels Bld 3188 and have installed a fresh copy of XP SP2 and have the ACPI error as well. I installed the tools and the weird thing is now it still has the "install tools" option on the actions menu. Originally I "installed tools" then "prepared for Vista", then I got an error while installing Vista saying I had to have SP2. I installed SP2 then started getting the ACPI problem and the others problems described earlier. BTW I have Vista Ultimate upgrade. I'll check back later and see if there is a fix or some suggestion.

Edit: I figured out my problem. After my first attempt at installing Vista I had prepared for Vista, this set the OS type to Vista. Then I installed SP2 on XP because Vista required it. I was then trying to install Vista which was having the ACPI problem. I switched the OS type manually back to Vista and selected Update for Vista again and it is running. I'm not done with the install yet, but it is installing.

Edit2: That worked, I have it installed and running. There are only two items that are not working.....1) mouse sync 2) video driver. I'll search the forum and see if any of these two have popped up before.

Edit3: Figured out that I need to unistall Parallels tools and re-install in Vista to get the mouse and video to work as before.

Last edited: May 17, 2007
  16. shayaan

shayaan Bit poster

Will 3.0 be a free upgrade? When 3.0 does come out, do you know if there will be any Windows XP specific tweaks done to run DirectX or performance enhancements?

17. constant

constant Forum Maven

DirectX, 3D, and full USB pass through are the major features muted for V3.0.

It will be a paid for version. Either new or upgrade.