Is Upgrade from 4 to 6 Likely to Cause Problems?

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by MrLynn, Mar 3, 2011.

1. MrLynn

MrLynn Member

In the past, upgrades/updates have cause much wasted time getting my WinXP VM to work properly.

I'm running Parallels 4 on my 27" iMac (i7 processor, 4GB RAM), OS 10.6.4, and it's been quite stable (knock wood!).

Thinking of taking advantage of the $29.99 upgrade to P6 offer today. But nervous about breaking my VM, which I need daily.

Take the chance, or not?

/Mr Lynn

2. alev

alev Parallels Team

Hi, MrLynn!

You could give it a try and make sure it fits you by using a trial version of PD6.

Make sure you have PD4 disk or installation image (http://kb.parallels.com/en/5802).
    Backup your VM (you could use PD Clone function).

Download PD6 trial version and install it. (from http://www.parallels.com/products/desktop)
    Use it for 14 days.

If you like it - buy an upgrade key.
    If you don't - just uninstall PD6 and install PD4.

Thank you

Last edited: Mar 3, 2011
  3. MrLynn

MrLynn Member

Thanks. I took your advice and created a clone, and downloaded an image of Parallels 4. But, having hedged my bets, I decided to go ahead and buy the version 6 upgrade and install it. I did, and so far it is working fine.

Congrats to Parallels for (so far, anyway) finally getting it right!

One thing I like: The toolbbar at the top of the VM window has disappeared, replaced with a tiny dropdown in the lower left corner. That's fine; I used to hit those icons accidentally all the time. Good riddance!

/Mr Lynn

4. JeffreyWex55

JeffreyWex55 Bit poster

Problems with Version 4 and need to fix before Upgrade

I am unable to properly install and upgrade on my version 4 and wanted to know what I can do to fix it before doing the upgrade and then buying it. Attached are image of problem and version info. Can't locate my original disks so I need some help please.

Attached Files:

5. alev

alev Parallels Team

Hi, JeffreyWex55!

Most probably your Windows need credentials to login.
    Upgrade process will be finished when you
    press OK on message you attached,
    Enter your credentials to log in to Windows,
    Run Parallels tools installation from CD into Windows.

Thank you