Windows XP Blackscreen after upgrading to 3150

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by kenken, Feb 8, 2007.

1. kenken

kenken Bit poster

Hi,

I just upgrade to 3150 from 30xx (I don't remember correctly).
    Then I start WIndows XP on Parallels Desktop for Mac.

I got the message, which I should "Install (newer) Parallels Tools",
    so I did.
    I choose the new video card driver, then suddenly XP goes shutdown.

After that, I can't start Windows XP.

I mean, when pushing start button on Parallels,
    I can see Windows XP logo on start up, but there is only black screen.

Anybody face the same problem?

Or, anyone can suggest how I can start Windows XP on Mac with "safe mode"?
    (I keep pushing F8, but ...)

Thanks,
    Ken

2. Adrian

Adrian Junior Member

Ken,

I had this very issue. The only solution I found was to uninstall Parallels (use the uninstaller in the DMG), and then search for any Parallels files and delete them .... make sure you don't delete your VM!! After that, reboot and reinstall Parallels and load up your VM, install the new Parallels Tools and away you go!

Of note, I am finding the 3150 RC2 a little slower on my Mac Mini .... but I am looking to update the CPU soon to a Core 2 Duo, so that should solve my issues.

Good luck,

Adrian.

3. bob_nugget

bob_nugget Junior Member

Ken,

I had this issue with Windows 2000. I found i could hold F8 as Windows began to start, then selected Enable VGA mode. Windows then started OK and I could install parallels tools, and the black screens had gone for good

Of course, as soon as I had done this and restarted Parallels started restarting every few minutes as it has done since Beta 2. Back to 3036 again... it appears Tech support couldn't care less their product has major bugs.

Cheers,
    Josh

4. Happyworker

Happyworker Bit poster

I had the same problem. I followed the instruction above, to uninstall and find and delete all other Parallels files (except vm). I reinstalled, but had the same problem.

I fixed all of this, by pressing F8 at the XP startup screen, then choosing to 'revert back to last known configuration that worked'.

This solved my problem, and now runs good.

As a side note: I have a duo core machine with 1GB memory, and this program works fairly fast...with the occasional hangup.

Cheers,
    Happyworker

5. kenken

kenken Bit poster

Hi,

Thanks for your comments!!

I also found the solution.

In my case, I just installed the stable version, 1970.
    Now, both 1970 and 3150 are installed on my MacBook together, since each of them use the different name, "Parallels" and "Parallels Desktop" in Parallels folder.

Then, just start 1970 with the same pvs file, and re-install parallel tools.

Anyway, thnks again.

Kenken

6. joem

joem Forum Maven

I'd be curious to know what happens if you now try to start 3150. Does it run, or complain? Does the VM work in both? This sounds risky.

7. marc.heusser

marc.heusser Junior Member

build 3150 after 1970 - F8 during boot and Enable VGA mode did the trick!

Thank you, Josh - that did the trick for me as well (Windows XP SP2 VM, previously run under build 1970). Happy to finallly being able to test 3150! :)

8. kenken

kenken Bit poster

Well, I can't start 3150 now with some messages. I need to install 3150 again to start 3150...

9. zengecko

zengecko Bit poster

This method also worked for me.