Missing mouse cursor

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by ZachD, Oct 27, 2010.

1. ZachD

ZachD Bit poster

I'm attempting to use the latest Parallels 6 build with Windows 7 on a MacOS host to play Dungeons and Dragons Online. I'm a little vague on terminology, but right now I'm running into the following problems:

1) When using the mouse present in OS X, control of the in-game character is buggy. Twitchy, slow, mouse cursor jumps randomly. (Is this considered the SmartMouse ?)

2) If I dedicate a USB Mouse to that Parallels VM, character control is fluid and otherwise 'perfect'. However, the mouse cursor disappears once I go into the game. However, if I drag the mouse cursor from OS X over into the full-screen Windows 7 instance, that cursor is visible and able to interact with the game. The cursor is visible when I'm just on the Windows 7 desktop.

So, how do I make the dedicated USB mouse actually show a cursor in the game, since Parallels Tools seems to override it and take over the cursor. Otherwise, the gameplay is flawless with roughly 120FPS @ 1920x1200 / all the options enabled.

2. alev

alev Parallels Team

Hi, ZachD!

I see your problem. We doesn't fix it yet the way we want. But in PD6 build 11990 we did some fixes related to 1st person mouse control.

However using dedicated mouse is still more comfortable in moving, but with hided cursor it is unusable. We know about this issue.

Thanks for reporting, ZachD.

3. GuillaumeM

GuillaumeM Bit poster

Parallel 6 desktop + Windows 7 x64 + DDO

@ ZachD

Hi I'd like to buy a Imac and play DDO on it. So I need to get Parallels Desktop 6 for MAC and Windows 7 x64 to play DDO.

Do you have lags and other bugs? Can you tell me please the specs of your MAC?

Thanks in advance.

G.

4. mH2

mH2 Member

Mouse still buggy in 3D game in December (latest) build

Build 6.0.11992
    (Revision 625164; December 17, 2010)

Mouse still not fixed ... and mousing out / in of VM does not restore visibility.
    If you can get the mouse visible, are fragments of an Older frame also flickering into the current frame...

5. mH2

mH2 Member

Official response ... so far...

(this is a duplicate of a response I left to: Mouse Sensitivity and Spinning )

I have run this "up the flag pole" with an exhaustive list of detailed information in tickets #1098567 and then 'second level' ticket #8098142 (filed on version 11994). It has now been passed up to the Developer level.

I hope this means they feel they now have the information necessary to reproduce and finally fix this annoying bug...

Here's to hoping!

6. lectrotext

lectrotext Bit poster

Radeon HD6xxxM Issue?

The problem still exists.

Model Identifier: MacBookPro8,2
    Processor: Intel Core i7, 2.3GHz
    Memory: 4 GB

VM
    Windows XP Pro SP3

My last MacBook came with a GForce Card so maybe the problem in the display driver for Radeon

AMD Radeon HD 6750M:

Chipset Model: AMD Radeon HD 6750M
    Type: GPU
    Bus: PCIe
    PCIe Lane Width: x8
    VRAM (Total): 1024 MB
    Vendor: ATI (0x1002)
    Device ID: 0x6741
    Revision ID: 0x0000
    ROM Revision: 113-C0170L-504
    gMux Version: 1.9.23
    EFI Driver Version: 01.00.504
    Displays:
    Color LCD:
    Resolution: 1680 x 1050
    Pixel Depth: 32-Bit Color (ARGB8888)
    Main Display: Yes
    Mirror: Off
    Online: Yes
    Built-In: Yes
    Display Connector:

7. aristidesl

aristidesl Bit poster

having the same problem on a 2011 MacBook Air playing CS 1.6 on XP SP3 using PD Build 7.0.15052

8. Specimen

Specimen Product Expert

aristidesl, you are not running the latest version of PDM 7, upgrade, report back.

9. aristidesl

aristidesl Bit poster

do you have any reason to believe this issue was fixed in the last microversion, or are you just saying?

10. Specimen

Specimen Product Expert

Instead of asking that question you could've just upgraded, you'll have to do it sooner or late anyway, but, If you want me to pick between the two answers then I'm just saying.

Now, if you want to know why I even took the time reply if I have no concrete knowledge about if the issue is fixed in the latest build, it's just proper/standard procedure for tracking down bugs/resolving issues is reducing the number of variables, no point in tracking it down in a outdated build, the problem probably isn't addressed in the new build but any code change might have unexpected results elsewhere, which is not desirable but happens. Also, that's the first thing any technician will ask you, I'm just sparing you some time.
    My personal opinion is that it is more likely that you'll continue to have the same problem after upgrading. But you'll be able to say that this problem isn't solved in the latest build.
    Here's the release notes for the latest build: http://kb.parallels.com/en/113049
    Only Linux latest kernel related stuff is mentioned, but that doesn't mean code related to Windows hasn't been changed. I know from experience that Parallels never provides a detailed changelog (something I've manifested against in the past) and only the most relevant changes are made public.

It's up to you to decide if it's relevant or not to upgrade.

(ramble) I don't know why I bother giving advice sometimes, do you people really think I have no idea what I'm talking about? Someone that has >1K posts probably knows something that you don't (/ramble)

Last edited: Jan 8, 2012
  11. aristidesl

aristidesl Bit poster

I could have updaded if the Check for updates button was not grayed out... :/

12. Specimen

Specimen Product Expert

Then you have a problem, something's not right, Parallels Desktop>Check for Update is supposed to be always available, even when running a VM.
    But you can always download the latest version from Parallels site (check my signature).

13. aristidesl

aristidesl Bit poster

should I uninstall older version before?

14. Specimen

Specimen Product Expert

Normally it's not needed, but since you have that option greyed out might help doing an uninstall first (it won't delete your settings).

15. Specimen

Specimen Product Expert

Another reason why I took notice of your version is because the latest build was released mid December, automatic update should have updated Parallels by now unless you haven't used Parallels since that date.

The fact that the option is greyed out reveals something's not right, has your license expired? Is your product activated?

16. aristidesl

aristidesl Bit poster

I'm still evaluating it in trial mode.. and still no way to update after reinstall

Last edited: Jan 8, 2012
  17. aristidesl

aristidesl Bit poster

It still happens with Build 7.0.15054

Only the mouse connected directly to the Guest become invisible in the game, and some strange effects happen where the cursor should be

18. petert89

petert89 Bit poster

Menu | Virtual Machine | Configure |
    Options | Disable Preferences | Advanced |
    SmartMouse | Off

fixed it for me.

Have a Great day!
    pete

19. aristidesl

aristidesl Bit poster

doesn't work for me.. stil got invisible mouse

20. aristidesl

aristidesl Bit poster

and by the way, was that disable preferences step a mistake?