Parallels Desktop for Mac build 3150 RC2 is available for download.

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by STim, Feb 1, 2007.

1. rhind

rhind Member

I run on an MBP C2D with 2GB RAM, have assigned 892 to my VM which is a Bootcamp partition. I used to see the interface lock up occasionally and had to power cycle. Saw it with 3120 but haven't had it with 3150 yet.

But for me, it only happened when I changed OS X's network config. I VPN to work a lot and if I made a VPN connection in OS X while Parallels was running, it would disconnect the simulated network adaptor and re-connect it. But occasionally (more often than not) this would cause the UI lock up you mention. So I don't change the network config while Parallels is running and haven't had this happen since?

Do you change the network config at all? Could that be the source of the lock-ups?

Cheers

Russell

2. ebernet

ebernet Product Expert

I too had many problems lie this with betas, all the betas leading up to 1970 - however, once 970 hit, I had ABSOLUTELY no problems, until I started on the new betas and RCs - I expect that, it is a beta and then RC after all. It is obvious to me that we live on the bleeding edge with these- we will have stability when they release it. Their track record indicates that so far.

3. ebernet

ebernet Product Expert

I was not that particular individual, but I have found that the majority of problems I have are when I change the network location. I have a proxy server in work and not at home, and I change the location between both places. If Parallels is open, I can pretty much forget abou stability until after a reboot. This would be a nice fix.

4. ebernet

ebernet Product Expert

Security update KB890859 - I know i has been brought up in many threads, and there is a convoluted workaround to supposedly kill the requests - but I am hoping this will be fixed for the release (the workaround did not seem to work, and took so long I do not want to try again).

Can you just corroborate you are aware of this and are working on a fix?

5. photo

photo Bit poster

BSODs FIXED

Thanks Parallels.
    The BSODs booting to Bootcamp are finally gone and Paralells is running well, after some fluffing around with the Parallels Tools install.

6. markintosh13

markintosh13 Member

Ditto. Rebooting gets me network stability again for a day or two. Then, after going from wired ethernet at work to wirelesss + proxy at home I start getting alot of dhcp IP changes - every couple of minutes (usually after switcing back to OS X) eventually followed by total loss of networking.

Having to reboot sucks. I never reboot normally. If I knew how to relaunch a process or something, as a workaround, that would rock.

7. skalway

skalway Bit poster

USB Support for Creative Nano MP3 player doesn't seem to work...

8. marc.heusser

marc.heusser Junior Member

How to get 3150 to start up Windows XP SP2 VM?

I have a VM Windows XP SP2 that runs well under build 1970. I did both an install of build 3150 without deinstalling 1970 first, and with deinstalling. Both times when I start up the VM, it hangs with a black screen (after Windows splash screen with progress bar, and disk checking, lots of activity, windows start sound, and then sound for error - but black screen and nothing more). I would really like to test 3150, but cannot get it to work.
    (The VM starts as usual when uninstaling 3150 and reinstalling 1970).

For those who have build 3150 up and running Windows XP SP2 after build 1970: How did you do it?
    Thanks in advance - Marc

9. marc.heusser

marc.heusser Junior Member

Starting Windows XP SP2 in 3150 (after 1970) - F8 / Enable VGA mode did the trick

Answering my own post - http://forum.parallels.com/thread8669.html did the trick: Pressing F8 during Windows start up, then selecting Enable VGA mode allowed to start up Windows XP, then I could install the new Parallels Tools, and now it seems 3150 is up and running - great!

Last edited: Feb 12, 2007
  10. ruppolo

ruppolo Bit poster

USB Scanner stop working on OS X

My USB Epson Perfection 1650 stop working in OS X environment, both with Apple twain driver and Epson software, until I remove /System/Library/Extensions/ConnectUSB.kext file (a kext coming from Parallels installer).
    Obviously Parallels stop working after removing this kext.
    I don't know if it's only a 3150-release bug or not, but it's a serious bug.

MacBook Core2Duo, 2GB, 10.4.8

11. BillInSoBe

BillInSoBe Member

We're already at RC2. Given the fact that we're in release candidate mode, you'd think a little stability should be built into the product by now.

I've been using Parallels since it's first beta release and love it, however I've NEVER had stability issues like the most recent releases. I'm willing to give it time, however I'm voicing my concern that the latest builds ARE NOT RELEASE CANDIDATE material and Parallels doesn't appear to be doing a very good job of finding ship critical issues or giving any beta program status updates.

If I have issues with the GA shutting down unexpectedly or network drama I will be forced to start thinking about alternate applications to reliably run my corporate applications.

Too many people are complaining about the quality of the recent releases for us to be anywhere near RC2.

12. Robertito

Robertito Junior Member

Sorry but where I can find the Device and after that the USB menu ??? I try in the Options in System and after Device, but nothing happen.

Maybee, I am just a nerds on Window

13. markintosh13

markintosh13 Member

In Parallel's Desktop - the very top menu bar. Not in Windows.

14. Ollie

Ollie Junior Member

Hanging USB bus? :(

After installing RC2 I've got the following annoying issue.

I have this 12-in-1 multimedia card reader which I use to copy pictures from my compactflash card to my MacBook Pro. After starting up Mac OS X, I can use the card reader without any problems. If I remove the card and start a Parallels VM with Windows XP and insert the card, I can still use it under Mac OS X. So far no problem. If I eject the card from the finder, take it out of the reader, and insert it back again, nothing happens. The card won't show up in the Finder. But, after that, I'm experiencing severe problems with everything that's connected to the USB bus, which has 2 external drives hooked up to it. When I, or an application tries to access the drive, the entire GUI comes to a grinding halt.

I can login via an ssh session, but unmounting the drives, or rebooting the OS isn't possible anymore. Pressing the power button and holding it down for a couple of seconds is the only thing I can do.

So, what's up? :confused:

15. gkantz

gkantz Junior Member

New Problem After Adding 802.11n Enabler And New Airport Extreme

THERE IS A SIGNIFICANT NEW PROBLEM AFTER INTRODUCING A NEW AIRPORT EXTREME BASE STATION AND ENABLING 802.11N ON AN IMAC CORE 2 DUO.

I have a network drive in OSX that is no longer accessible through Parallels build 3150 RC2. In fact, when accessing it through a program, it turns off all access to those folders in Mac OS X!!!

You have to go back to OSX, go to the info screen for that folder, and you will see that the folder is now set for "No Access". You have to turn access back on to Read and Write, but still no access through Parallels.

This is a VERY SERIOUS pre-release issue that MUST be fixed.

16. Stevamundo

Stevamundo Pro

Okay enough. I think that the Airport problem is more of Apple's than Parallels'.

Really ever since 10.4.8 was released the Airport has been shaky. Also ever since that Apple released their new QuickTime security update and their new Airport update, my Airport connection has been ridiculous.

All that I'm saying is that I think that the Airport's problem is due more to Apple than Parallels.

17. phazer

phazer Hunter

Still having issues with coherence, still missing my right menu on the start window... no one has replied to me in this thread at all.

This version of parallels has been nothing but problems for me

18. drval

drval Pro

I'm not seeing a prior note on this thread about this problem from you. I'm not sure what you mean by the "right menu" that you're "missing". Can you say a bit more about all of this?

19. say2k

say2k Bit poster

not there for me... I ran the mac drivers exe and I have no idea where or if it installed. This isn't a built in isight, if that makes a dif.

20. ebernet

ebernet Product Expert

Yes, it does matter. As has been mentioned in this thread more than once, there is no support for the FireWire bus. The drivers are specifically for the USB Based internal iSight and since your iSight is FireWire based, of course it would not show up under Devices>USB.