Trying to boot forever

Discussion in 'macOS Virtual Machine' started by Howard Brazee, Feb 10, 2009.

1. Howard Brazee

Howard Brazee Hunter

When I try to start Windows XP under Parallels 4, even in safe mode, it stops after the Windows screen says "Trying to boot from Primary Master IDE drive ...

Eventually I have to tell it to shut down - how can I get this working again? I want back in!!

2. Peter Canasius J L

Peter Canasius J L Forum Maven

Hi Howard,

1) Launch Parallels Desktop => Do not start the windows => go to Configure => Boot order => change it manually Cd ROM, Hard disk, and floppy disk.

This should fix the issue

3. John Andrews

John Andrews Bit poster

Still doesn't boot

Peter

I'm having the same problem after having to recreate the Boot Camp partition and reinstalling WinXPPro because of a HD problem and replacement.

Now Parallels Desktop 4.0 will not boot from the primary master IDE drive even though it finds the Boot Camp partition on the menu.

I have tried to reorder the boot order and have it as you specified - CD, then HD then floppy. It didn't help.

What can I try now??

John

4. Jason Webster

Jason Webster Bit poster

Same problem

I started having the same problem today.
    My MacOSX crashed. When I rebooted and tried to restart my Vista Virtual machine it is stuck in the same place. Please help.

Thanks

5. Howard Brazee

Howard Brazee Hunter

Tonight, Parallels support people are going to try once again to log onto my computer and fix things. They did this a couple of months ago and gave up, saying that there was a bug in Parallels.

At any rate, you need to submit a problem report before they will do anything, so that's your next step.

6. John Andrews

John Andrews Bit poster

"My Boot Camp" virtual machine booted

I posted an inquiry to this thread around the first part of April after I had replaced a hard drive in my MacBook Pro and was trying to reinstall Boot Camp and get Parallels working again.

After getting the error "trying to boot from Primary Master IDE drive" and Parallels Desktop for Mac failing to ever get past that point, I went to the "File" menu and the "Open" command and saw two .pvm files listed. The file I was trying to boot was listed plus another one entitled "My Boot Camp". When I booted this one (My Boot Camp) everything went fine and Parallels opened this partition just fine.

I'm not sure why that happened but the info panel on the "My Boot Camp.pvm" indicates that it was created way back in July of 2007 -- was this in reference to a Parallels Library file on the Mac side being copied onto this new hard drive.

I'm still confused but Parallels is working.

John

7. John Andrews

John Andrews Bit poster

After a HD replacement in early April, I tried to boot Parallels 4.0 and got the "trying to boot from Primary Master IDE drive" message. In the Parallels menu "File" "Open" it listed 2 "".pvm files. I tried the other file entitled "My Boot Camp.pvm" and everything booted just fine. Looking on the Mac side in /user/Library/Parallels/"".pvm and right clicking on the two .pvm files listed there I chose"Show package content" --- there I think lay the explanation why it wouldn't boot -- the troublesome .pvm file listed my old Mac HD (a Toshiba), a drive that was no longer present. Perhaps this is a problem for others receiving this same "trying to boot from Primary Master IDE drive" message?

8. Lisa Baker

Lisa Baker Bit poster

I had this same problem after my laptop died. The replacement machine I setup using a backup from my laptop. The reason I was getting that message is my old CD was listed as IDE and that setting carried across. On my new Mac Pro I had to change it to SCSI in the config to get Parallels to work for me.

9. NickC

NickC Bit poster

New machine, won't boot

Having the same problem with Parallels unable to boot, but trying to boot from the primary IDE drive. I just got a new Macbook Pro, transferred my information from my old one, which must also have transferred the My Boot Camp.pvm file (~/Documents/Parallels/My Boot Camp.pvm). The package contents there lists a file WDC WD3200BEKT-22F3T0.hdd, which must be the Western Digital 320 GB disk in my old MBP. How can I get Parallels to create a new My Boot Camp.pvm file? I've uninstalled and re-installed Parallels today, but no joy. Thanks!

10. Winsmile

Winsmile Bit poster

Hardware Source Dropdown - Greyed Out

I have a similar problem after changing my hard drive to a larger drive.

Using Winclone I did a back up of Bootcamp to an external drive.
    Using SuperDuper I copied my existing Mac HD to the new drive.
    Dropped in the new drive and the OSX side works great and if I boot directly into Bootcamp that works great.

The issue is when booting Parallels I get the boot message, "Trying to boot from primary master IDE drive" and then if freezes.

I went into Config>Hard Disc 1 and there I see my old drive in the Source drop down and it is greyed out not allowing me to change to the new.

Any suggestions on how to switch it to the new drive?

11. ShahryarR

ShahryarR Bit poster

not working for me.. It does the "Trying to boot from CD-ROM drive... failed" and then goes back to getting hung up on "trying to boot from Primary Master IDE drive ..."

(trying to start my Vista on my Parallels 5)

Last edited: Mar 23, 2011