New windows 7 install from upgrade disk

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration' started by HDskyhawk, Dec 15, 2010.

1. HDskyhawk

HDskyhawk Bit poster

Hey everyone I'm new to parallels and just wanted to let people know what I did to install windows 7. So I have a iMac 27" i7 with soon to be 16gb of ram. I just bought the windows 7 upgrade disk from Costco, and no I don't have a previous version of windows. I initially tried to do the quick install but it can't be done unless you are doing an upgrade. I then installed using custom settings. It was installed but my key code would not work. I then hit the cancel button and it worked but it gave me a notice saying I needed to activate windows within 30 days. I then inserted the upgrade disk and upgraded from windows 7 to windows 7 again using custom install. Key code worked without a problem.

Now for my questions for those who know what they're doing. Can I split the 16gb or can the vm only take so much?
    Should I have an antivirus program and if so what do you recommend.

2. Hcier1

Hcier1 Bit poster

No response by Parallels

31 days and no response to your post. I am having similar trouble.

Mine is a 27" iMac as well - OS X. It would not take the 32/64bit Win 7 Upgrade. So, I installed an old version of XP. It then would not accept the 64 bit, but did take the 32 bit Win 7. But, I have no sound, internet or any other networking ability. It seems logical that the 64 bit should get installed, but I can't figure out how to get it accepted. It replies that the 64 bit is incompatible... The overall lack of responses on this forum is not too helpful either.

After deleting the above virtual machine and trying to install the 64bit ver. I get the following.

"Windows cannot install required files. The files may be corrupt or missing. Make sure all files required for the installation are available, and restart the installation. Error Code: 0x80070017

Last edited: Jan 29, 2011
  3. macspectrum

macspectrum Bit poster

error installing win 7 from DVD on macbook pro

I am also getting a Windows 7 install error from my Win 7 Ultimate DVD; "Windows cannot install required files. The files may be corrupt or missing. Make sure all files required for installation are available, and restart the installation. Error code: 0x80070017"

This after I found that I needed to disable the floppy drive in Parallels 6 to even get that far in the Win 7 install.

This is a fresh install with a real Win 7 DVD.

I am running a 17" MacBook Pro w/ 8 GB RAM, core2duo 2.66 ghz CPU and 500 GB HD with about 1/2 empty.

Thanks in advance for any help / replies.

4. BobbyR

BobbyR Banned

I think you should contact Microsoft for that issue.
    For HDskyhawk, yes you can split the 16gb. It's your choice. Anti-virus are necessary though you can install if you prefer. [​IMG]