Help on removing Bootcamp or converting to actual VM?

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by blacksheep, Feb 10, 2007.

1. blacksheep

blacksheep Bit poster

Hi,

I currently have bootcamp (installed first) on a 20gig partition and use Parallels with the Bootcamp option, so my Windows XP VM is running direct from the Bootcamp partition.

Since I find myself never using Bootcamp, I would like to remove it entirely, but leave Parallels intact. I

So what I would like to do is...

Non destructively remove Bootcamp while leaving Parallels intact.

Is there a way to create a VM "based" on the Bootcamp partition, remove Bootcamp, and put that 20gigs back into the main OS X partition without having to reinstall everything?

2. joem

joem Forum Maven

I haven't tried this, but I suspect it will work just fine. Create a new VM of whatever size you need, and install XP only. Don't bother activating.

Edit your bootcamp VM to include your new virtual disk as a second drive. Start the bootcamp VM and copy all files to the new virtual drive, overwriting whatever is there. Then go back to your newly created VM and start it. Everything should be there. If it is, you can delete the bootcamp VM (I'd remove the link to the new virtual disk first), test again, and if it still works, remove the bootcamp partition with the Apple tool.

3. aguydude

aguydude Member

You can use Parallels Transporter to generate a bootable .hdd file. Copy it over to your regular partition and boot from that. I've tried using the tool to create a bootable .hdd file in the past successfully, but not from a bootcamp partition. I can't imagine it would make a difference, though. I'm not sure if this functionality was available before RC2.

4. blacksheep

blacksheep Bit poster

Thanks..awesome advice. Will give it a shot.