what might Parallels be doing?

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by Colin Holgate, Feb 10, 2007.

1. Colin Holgate

Colin Holgate Member

I've had some system related issues today, which I had to do an archive and install of the OS again to get past. Now Parallels seems to have some issues. When I start the VM I get the rotating window effect and see a few lines of DOS, the usual Windows startup thing, but then the Windows window becomes solid black, and it stays that way.

Checking with Activity Monitor shows that Parallels is using over 100 percent of the CPU (this is on a Core 2 Duo MBP), and trying to do a Sample shows this message:

"sample cannot examine process 511 for unknown reasons, even though it appears to exist."

I'll leave my machine on overnight, to see if Parallels gets finished with whatever it is that needs so much CPU. Is there anything I can check while it's doing its thing, to help figure out what is going on?

2. darkone

darkone Forum Maven

3. Colin Holgate

Colin Holgate Member

Thanks for the links, but those are only similar sounding issues, they didn't have the using 100% CPU problem. I'm on build 3150, which was previously working fine. The only thing that I had tried different was to have it open up in full screen mode.

Parallels also wouldn't force quit. In the end, after letting it run for 12 hours, I gave up. By yhen my Mac OS was also corrupted and I've had to do some OS reinstalls. Next up I'm going to copy my data to another drive and do a completely fresh install. I also suspect my virtual drive file is corrupt too.