How to install Vista upgrade step by step

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by rmeyer52, Feb 5, 2007.

1. rmeyer52

rmeyer52 Member

1. On the preferences panel of Parallels select boot from CD/DVD

2. Insert your Vista CD/DVD

3. Restart Parallels and create a new VM

4. Install Vista but do not enter the serial # as of yet

5. Vista will start installing when you select the version of Vista that you have.

6. When installation is complete click on Vista CD on the WIndows desktop and install again

7. Parallels will reboot several times

8. When installation is complete go to preferences and change boot options to boot from hard disk

9. Remember to reinstall Parallels tools to ensure that Vista recognizes your network and sound cards.

10. Allocate no more than 1GB of memory to your new VM

11. That should do it !!!!

I have noticed a couple of things (I am using Build 1970)..first I dont have to use the control + alt buttons my mouse moves within the windows easily. I cannot resize the windows for IE 7.0 but I maybe just doing something wrong. Do NOT upgrade to the beta unless you are willing to put up with some issues. The people here clearly state that they do not support beta's and if you send an eMail to tech support they will tell you that as well.

Currently on my Vista VM I have installed Office 2007 and it works great. That should do it..it took me two days of searching forums to find out how to do this don't count on the PT to help you.

2. casilingua

casilingua Bit poster

Thank you very much for that. I installed as you suggested, but after the first install, Parallels tools were automatically added and when I tried to reinstall as per your Step 6 I was told that there wasn't enough space. It was trying to install a new Vista in the spare disk space where the original was rather than do a clean install. It's all working fine, without serial number input. Will it eventually insist on a product number or stop working? Does it have to activate like xp? Sorry to bombard you with questions.
    Stephen

3. rmeyer52

rmeyer52 Member

Hmm do you have automatic space for hard disk? If so then there should be no problem. I did not install Tools until I was done with the 2nd install

4. macpilot

macpilot Bit poster

Can you install Vista if you downloaded it from MS' site? Or do need the physical DVD?

5. rmeyer52

rmeyer52 Member

I believe that you need the DVD but I could be wrong. Ensure that the max memory you set is 920K.

6. Gasport

Gasport Bit poster

rmeyer52

Just a few quick questions. I am new at this so they may seem dumb. :confused:

I am assuming you are referring to a clean install of Vista using an upgrade version of the product.

Am I best off running a custom install and allocating X GB of HD space during the intiial install as the method described for increasing HD space seems complicated at best?

On the initial install of Vista, I assume I do a Custom install not an upgrade since this is technically not an upgrade yet?

Your step 6 indicates that the vista DVD will be on the Windows desktop. Is this Vista running in Parrallels? I told you they may be dumb..... Also, how do I check to see if automatic space is set so I don't have the problem casilingua had?

What is the optimal memory size to set the VM at for Vista?

Thanks

Gas

7. Gasport

Gasport Bit poster

rmeyer52

Just a few quick questions. I am new at this so they may seem dumb. :confused:

I am assuming you are referring to a clean install of Vista using an upgrade version of the product.

Am I best off running a custom install and allocating X GB of HD space during the intiial install as the method described for increasing HD space seems complicated at best?

On the initial install of Vista, I assume I do a Custom install not an upgrade since this is technically not an upgrade yet?

Your step 6 indicates that the vista DVD will be on the Windows desktop. Is this Vista running in Parrallels? I told you they may be dumb..... Also, how do I check to see if automatic space is set so I don't have the problem casilingua had?

What is the optimal memory size to set the VM at for Vista?

Thanks

Gas