Windows Desktop Icons Won't Update

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by Gregory Penn, Jan 16, 2010.

1. Gregory Penn

Gregory Penn Bit poster

Running Parallels 5 in Mac OS 10.6.2 with a 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo

I just installed Parallels 5 and Windows 7 as a guest OS. Icons on my Mac desktop also appear on my Windows desktop. If I delete an icon from the Mac desktop, it doesn't vanish from the Windows desktop until I've restarted Windows. I just tried an experiment to see what happens if I delete something from the Windows desktop, and the results were a little startling. I created a new folder on the Windows desktop, verified that it appears on the Mac desktop, and switched back to Windows to delete it. Windows won't let me delete it, returning the error message: "Could not find this item. This is no longer located in desktop." I switched back to the Finder where I was able to delete the folder, after which it still appears on the Windows desktop and won't disappear until I've restarted Windows. Annoying.

Is there something fundamental that I'm failing to understand here?

Gregory

2. Hi there,
    I have the same issue in Paralells 6, Seems like it would be pretty handy to have the desktops synced but any changes in OSX aren't updated to windows.
    Any ideas?
    Thanks
    Pete

3. YanaB

YanaB Member

Hello,

The desktop on Windows and Mac are not synced automatically right after some changes appeared, but you can do it in the following way: right click on the Windows Desktop and choose 'Refresh'. That is the way you can sync Desktops and continue running VIrtual Machine

4. Cool, works great! Thanks Yana!

5. DerekL

DerekL Bit poster

desktop refresh issue

I am running windows xp on Parallels 6 on a mac mini and am having the same problem. I have been using the refresh button to update my desktop and I am getting irritated with having to do that. It's bad enough I have to use windows at all I know but it is mandatory for the job I do. There must be a better solution than refreshing every time there is a change. Is there anyone from the parrallels team out there that can offer a better option to solve this problem?

Thanks in advance to anyone that has anything to offer.