Shared Disks Not Working

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by SPelly, Apr 26, 2011.

1. SPelly

SPelly Member

Hello All, I'm having problems accessing my Windows XP shared disks from the Finder. It may be unrelated, but I recently upgraded to OS X 10.6.7 with Parallels Desktop Build 6.0.11994 (Revision 637263; February 17, 2011). I'm seeing the following complaints in the dmesg output:

kxld[com.google.filesystems.fusefs]: The following symbols are unresolved for this kext:
    kxld[com.google.filesystems.fusefs]: _OSRuntimeFinalizeCPP
    kxld[com.google.filesystems.fusefs]: _OSRuntimeInitializeCPP
    Can't load kext com.google.filesystems.fusefs - link failed.
    Failed to load executable for kext com.google.filesystems.fusefs.
    Kext com.google.filesystems.fusefs failed to load (0xdc008016).
    Failed to load kext com.google.filesystems.fusefs (error 0xdc008016).

My system has MacFUSE 2.0.3,2 installed but gets the same error with the 2.1.5 beta.

Any ideas how to resolve this?

2. YanaB

YanaB Member

Hello,

Seems like you have a kernel panic. Try to disable the Spotlight for a while and check the issue. Please send a Problem Report from Help menu --> Report a Problem and place the ID here.

Do you have ntfs 3g installed?

3. SPelly

SPelly Member

No, no kernel panic. Just can't load the MacFUSE kext.

Why do you suggest disabling Spotlight? I don't understand the connection between it and this problem.

4. YanaB

YanaB Member

WOuld you please send the Problem Report, if there is a panic report - it can be caused ny the NTFT indexing

5. SPelly

SPelly Member

I'm sorry, my original post was not clear. There are no NTFS mounts for spotlight to index. Parallels uses the MacFUSE kext to make its Windows disks available to OS X. The problem I'm having is that the MacFUSE kext that Parallels ships cannot load on my machine.

If someone at Parallels is monitoring this thread, can you confirm if Sharing works on early 2011 MacBook Pros. Apple is shipping these machines with the 64 bit kernel enabled by default.

see:
    $ uname -a
    Darwin mbp.local 10.7.3 Darwin Kernel Version 10.7.3: Sun Mar 6 13:37:56 PST 2011; root:xnu-1504.14.2~1/RELEASE_X86_64 x86_64

According to posts at http://groups.google.com/group/macfuse the 2.0.3,2 version of MacFUSE shipping with Parallels 6 does not run on 64 bit kernels. (see: this and others)

6. YanaB

YanaB Member

That's true, current MacFuse doesn't work in a proper way in 64-bit mode. It can couse Kernel Panic of the Mac

from http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/23729/macfuse
    Quote:
    An experimental build that fixes certain issues with Snow Leopard and 64-bit can be found here:

http://static.caurea.org/MacFUSE/MacFUSE-2.1.7.dmg

Remember, 2.1.7 is experimental. Use it at your own risk!

You may also try to run in 32-bit mode:

To switch your Mac OS in 32-bit mode permanently run in terminal:
    $ sudo nvram boot-args="arch=i386"
    and reboot your mac.

Also you can press '3' and '2' keys on your keyboard together as soon as you press power button to start your Mac.

7. SPelly

SPelly Member

I've seen that link i many MacFUSE forum posts. It's been dead for some time.

Does Parallels plan on supporting shared drives in the future?

8. SPelly

SPelly Member

I'd shy away from the 2.1.7 version. It's a 64 bit recompile of the 32 bit version and is missing the necessary file locking code.

The developers at www.tuxera.com have a product that uses a 64 bit version of MacFUSE. They've released the source code (called "rebel" version 2.1.9). At first glance looks to be nicely done and complete. Thanks! I built their source and it works well -- restoring Shares to Parallels under 64 bit kernels.