Parallels 6 and Windows 7 SP1 x86, bootcamp drivers won't install

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by MrT0ad, Mar 16, 2011.

1. MrT0ad

MrT0ad Bit poster

Hi beautiful people :)

I've just bought a Early 2011 MBP, and I'm having a little trouble installing bootcamp drivers on the VM.

Basically it exits with the following error:

"This version of BootCamp is not intended for this computer model"

I am indeed using the BootCamp installer that came on my restore disks.

I've tried running it in compatibility mode and as admin, but same result.

Anyone else experienced this issue? Any insights on how to get around it?

I could try to install Win7 on the hard drive and try that way, but same as water I tend to follow the path of minimum resistance :p so if anyone knows how to get around the issue I'd be delighted to know about it ;)

2. bonz

bonz Bit poster

I just installed Windows 7 SP1 64bit on my iMac (Intel Core 2 Duo) and when I tried to update the Boot Camp drivers using the Snow Leopard installation DVD I too got the message "Boot Camp x64 is unsupported on this computer." I'm not using Parallels yet, just Boot Camp.

3. doesullivan

doesullivan Bit poster

Boot camp error

I also have Parallels 6 with Windows running on the 15" MBP early 2011. I get the same error message. "this version of boot camp is not intended for this computer model". I did try and download the latest from Apple and got the same exact error message. Anyone else come up with a fix for this?

4. MrT0ad

MrT0ad Bit poster

The only way I've found around this issue is to make a bootcamp Win7 install, install bootcamp drivers and then boot to the partition using Parallels.

No matter what I tried bottcamp drivers wouldn't install on a Parallels VM.

5. doesullivan

doesullivan Bit poster

How do I do this?

The bootcamp win7 install sounds fine but how is this different from installing the bootcamp.exe in the windows screen. Can you boot into the Win7 partition and then install bootcamp? Thanks.

6. MrT0ad

MrT0ad Bit poster

It's different because Parallels uses "virtual" hardware devices, which I believe "upsets" the bootcamp installer.

You can install Win7 in a separate partition, boot to it then install the bootcamp drivers and then use such partition as a virtual machine with Parallels.

However I've found that the bootcamp control panel doesn't load when you boot the Win7 partition as VM. So, what I do is set the behaviour I like for the trackpad etc on "native" Win7 before booting it as VM.